0

Emily Routh
13

Power button is stuck

The power button on my Ipod Naon 6th generation is stuck. As in, my ipod won't turn on unless I plug it into the computer to make it light up. PLEASE help me!!

Edited by: Emily Routh ( )

I took mine back to the apple store and met with a genius. They replaced the nano under warranty. My power button stopped working also.

Lynn,

I ended up just going to the store where I bought my iPod and using the warranty to get another one. I think it was just a faulty batch of iPods.

Emily Routh,

My own opinion : these iPod's suck. I have no idea why I bought it. My power button is stuck, there are no games, & I got tired of it a week after i got it. I want top sell it, but since the power button is stuck - I'm out of luck. The ONLY way this iPod will work, is if you get the Apple headphones with the play/pause button. Can i return it in to the Apple store (which is like hours away -__-) for a new one ?

tatianna,

Same problem, the power button stuck. After 2 month the guarantee expired, they won't fix that issue for free.

Attila,

I actually went back to the store where I bought it and got a new one with my warranty. About a month later, the same problem happened. I've given up on this iPod...as many of you said, it doesn't have games, it's boring, it's tiny...it sucks. Thanks for all the responses!

Emily Routh,

1

Emily Routh
13

So, I actually got it fixed about three days after I posted this. Sorry for not telling everyone sooner! I had my warranty on it, so I took it to the store I bought it at and they replaced my iPod. It took about ten minutes in the store.

5

rbarrioss
61

I'm working on one of these right now, and taking it apart was easy enough, but the solution from R. Barrios isn't always the answer. My metal shim between the outside button and the inside one is perfectly centered, as shown in Barrios' finished product. The problem is that the button can't be pushed in far enough to make contact with the (loosely taped) internal button. I have tried adding another metal shim, and even a thicker plastic shim, but didn't have any luck there. This iPod isn't returnable even though it's under warranty because of a cracked screen; fair enough. However, there should be a replacement program for these defective 6th generation units. Not that I'm surprised though, as Apple has a tendency to make design decisions like this, even admitting that they've got issues, and then not do anything about it. Disposable society indeed!

e2648,

2

Emily Routh, if it works when you plug it in, but not when it is not connected, start replacing your battery. After that you have at least a starting point if you should continue to have problems.iPod Nano 6th Generation Logic Board Assembly Replacement gives you an idea of how to do it. Good Luck and let us know if you need more help.

0

Vince
1

if you don't want to tear down, try pulling up the button w/ needle nose pliers or tweezers. if it just got something sticky around the button you can work it loose w/ alcohol.

0

Sven
1

The Standby/Power button on my iPod nano 6G got stuck, making it impossible to turn on the iPod (except via USB). With the warranty having expired a few months ago, I gave it a try to fix it.

It was of course the small metal shim under the power button that just slipped a bit to the side. Reseating the shim did the trick. With the right tools it took about 30 minutes.

Note: There was a black tape over the button assembly, all along the inside of the top of the case. This tape is not shown in the tear-down pics and had to be peeled off to reach the power button.

I wonder why Apple opted for such a bad design. It almost appears as if this is some improvised solution.

--

Before I forget - many thanks to iFixit for the tear-down pictures and to R. Barrios for the detailed explanation of the actual problem!

--

Somehow the glue strip between the display and the case has suffered a bit when I disassembled the nano and I notice the backlight shining through at the edges of the display. Does anybody have a solution for replacing that glue strip?

Edited by: Sven ( )

0

Benjamin Straith
1

I got the same problem with the 6th generation ipod, broken powerbutton. The little cloth on top of the powerbutton was gone (inside the ipod).

Here is what i did:

I dismanteled it. I used my nails to get a grip around the touchscreen, and then i gently took it out and to the left side. unscrewed the metal plate behind the display.

You dont need to unhook the cables, but you have to move the battery aside so you can get accsess to the cables and buttons. I Removed the black tape first and then i unscrewed the 4 little screws on top and i gently took out the buttons and cables (they are all connected to eachother), so i could take a look at it.

I cut out an little piece of doublesided tape and i folded it once. then i used a needle to place it on top of the powerbutton(the button connected to the cables, because everything is so small. There is a small gasket around the powerbutton, that one i removed completely, cause it caused me alot of trouble. After that took 2 of the 4 screws and mounted it back together, just to test the powerbutton(test the button several times) just to check that everything is in order. If it is a go, just reverse the whole operation. At the end i used some superglue to seal the deal :P

What i needed to to this operation:

- Good lightening, I used my cellphone cameralight. I placed it on top of a glass, so i got good lightning down towards the ipod.

- Tiny screwdrivers, Star-screwdriver, but you can do it with a flat one too.

- A little piece of doublesided tape and a scissor to cut out the pieces of tape.

- Superglue, to use around the seal of the screen.

- Take good time, this is tiny bits and pieces.

I had to do this operation several times to get it to work.

I was not interested to send it back to the webshop and wait several weeks to get it back.

Im guessing im not the only one having problems with this.

Good luck :)

Benjamin (Flip-Da'Script)

0

zaneparley
1

hi everyone.

i hav found the answer; first of all my shime was squint so thanks torbarrioss for that and also if u look at your working volume buttons u will see a black piece of material. this is the problem for people who hav fixed there shime but its still not working. i hav not yet found a peice to go in its place but i will keep trying and post if i do

0

Georgia
1

Found by accident that I can get my Nano - with the broken power button - to play with my iPhone earbuds. Then, I watched the Youtube video to learn about the other controls (double click, triple click, etc.). Just plug your earbuds in, press the center of the earbud controller to unpause and . . . you have music. Press once to pause. What I don't know is if the battery is shutting down with the pause. I'll find out soon. Can't see the screen, but it will do until I break down and buy another or Santa brings me one.

0

diss777
1

I had an xtra power button ribbon. Just replaced it.

0

Dave
181

This is by far the most common fault I encounter on the nano 6g. followed by the broken screen.

As mentioned in previous posts the issue is either the square metal shim which has shifted on the back of the button or the black dimple spot on the button itself is missing. Or Both

It's a real nuisance aligning everyting back up again with the ribber gasket but you can leave that out if you wish. It is a waterproofer mostly and only adds a little spring to the button itself.

The black dimple button is about this size "." so it's a bit fiddly to replace. You can use something lightly bigger but no more than 1mm thick really.

Do you go as far as taking apart the entire logic board, battery and jack housing assemble to get to the power button shim?

Fish,

@fish I remove the logic board and battery. You do not need to remove the headjack if you are repairing. You just need to very careful not to rip the ribbon flex anywhere as it is very fragile.

Dave,

Thanks Dave, still have some questions regarding this fix so I might as well post them in the new questions page. Cheers!

Fish,

0

louiszro
1

Hi

I found a simple but not very clean solution for the stuck power button problem.

1. Follow the Headphone Jack Assembly replacement guide.
  2. At step 13, remove only the rightmost 3.9 mm Phillips screw (the orange ones on the photo).
  3. Test tour power button, it might work again (at least it did for me). If not, you may also unmount the third screw starting from the left and mount it again. I indeed found that the level of tightening these two screws had an influence on the exact location of the switch, and thus on its contact with the power button.
  4. Mount your IPod again, without remounting the rightmost screw.

Hope it helps,

Edited by: louiszro ( )

0

Mart Kroon
1

My problem was that there was a small plastic bit missing from the on/off-switch. I just glued it back on and now the device works again.

Here is a picture of the plastic bit and the switch where it belongs to:

http://i49.tinypic.com/14t62x4.jpg

And here is a video that helped me to find the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrLLfMXk...

0

Patrik Schraven
1

How shall it work with the headphones? I have some but it doesn´t turn on by pressing it

0

Max
1

Not a fix, but a workaround:

1) Remove the outer button and use the plug of the dongle to push the inner button to turn the ipod on or off

2) When the inner button falls off or stops working, remove it. You will be left with just the base contact for the button, which looks like a small round metal contact separated into 4 quarter sections. Now you can lightly touch the plug of the dongle to the contact and move it around a bit to close the contact between any 2 of the 4 sections in order to power the ipod on or off. It only takes a couple of seconds to do the trick and the inconvenience may be worth it compared to forking out another $150 for a new ipod.

0

portatronix Germany
1

Thanks for the instructions to repair the iPod nano 6 case when using this manual something goes wrong and the cable for the on and off switch is damaged, it can be purchased portatronics.de here.

Vielen Dank für die Anleitung zur Reparatur des iPod Nano 6 Sollte beim Verwenden dieser Anleitung etwas schief laufen und das Kabel für den An und Ausschalter beschädigt werden, kann dieses in Deutschland bei portatronics.de erworben werden.

0

rebeccaloha
1

Yup! Suck button....I read a few of these posts and went for it! Not techie or digitally inclined this was a reach. So I Googled "iFixit & R. Barrios" and found this:

iPod Nano 6th Generation Teardown

I followed the photos, had to improvise with a hairdryer and I used my nail file to slim-down my eyeglasses repair kit screwdriver to fit the tiny screws; and it all worked!

Once I got to the button part (Step 11 on the above website) I didn't even have to pull it all out. I repositioned the tiny metal square that I think is supposed to transfer the button 'click' to the metal circle thing that is connected to the computer part. I pushed it all back into position and covered it with the black tape that is in the ipod compartment. Then I tested the button for a 'click'-ish motion. It now had one. I crossed my fingers and retraced my steps (backwards) through the photos and screws. Presto! Button has been fixed!!!

Hope this helps :)

Cheers!

0

Gary
289

Just for the record,

When the power button stops working on the nano, ( the actual problem is 1 of 2 possible things)

1.) there is a tiny little black rubber dot that sits in the dead center the round yellow contact. If it falls off or slides over it will effect the power buttons functionality anywhere from; you have to push hard, but it still works after 4-5 tries. To not responding at all.

2.) the other possibility is on the back of the metal part of the power button there is a tiny round metal disc , if this disc that is just a bit thicker than the back of the power switch, falls off there will be to much space between the contact & the power button itself to work.

Also, when replacing these parts adjusting the tightness of the 4 screws that hold the assembly against the power button can make all the difference in the world as to how it functions. These parts are barley thicker than a human hair or two, so, be aware that you are dealing with micro distances between the contact and the power button.

As for a fix,, i pull one of the black dots off of an old spare flex cable from another project i worked on .

Edited by: Gary ( )

0

Hemersonr Souza
1

same problem to me i received this one on a recall from my gen 1 ipod nano.

0

Nathan Daldry
1

This has happened to my iPod too, but my + volume button is also broken so it's really quiet and I doubt there's any way of changing that. Apple being apple will obviously only replace it if it's under warranty despite the fact that this clearly a design fault.

Also, for those of you who are saying "this iPod sucks... NO GAMES QQ" I'm going to explain just how wrong you are. This iPod was in no doubt a step in the right direction. The last iPod had games and various other pointless pieces of software which I didn't use once. If you want an iPod that you can use to waste away money on games which you'll use maybe a few times BUY AN IPOD TOUCH. The 6th generation nano is purely for music; it's conveniently small yet its functionality (Other than the hard button on top anyway...) is brilliant. Incredibly useful for running/fitness etc.

So, yes, Apple are doing it right. They're making each of their products individual compared to their other products. So kudos to Apple for that, I just wish that they had more official shops instead of the fake ones that won't actually repair my iPod, warranty or not...

0

Ali Green
1

put a small drop of denatured alcohol around the power button.

0

hagl
1

hi,

had the same problem with the stuck power button. as user 'louiszro' suggested follow the instructions to dis-assemble your ipod just like for exchanging the headphone jack, but stop at point 13.

after that, remove the 3 buttons('plus', 'minus', power - connected to each other) by removing the 4 screws. the problem with my ipd was that the very small black plasic peace

(shown exactly here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14t62x4&...)

wasn't were it is supposed to be - just compare with the other two buttons. i used a little bit of '2 components glue'(don't know the exact english term for that...) to stick this plastic peace onto the middle - backside of the power button.

when assembling: be sure to push the 2 connectors from the LCD so they have proper connection. at first my player stayed black - thinking i fu**** it up - but the connectors just weren't sitting properly... check that out before assembling further.

good luck - work carefully, and nothing should break! of course - if you have warranty, try exchanging the player first...

0

Lloyd
1

Mine is more than 2 years old (beyond warranty) and finally got stuck. How much do they charge to fix it?

0

E Ko
1

Here is how you will take apart the Nano iPod

There are no screws on the outside so it looks like impossible to take apart, the way to do it is, to heat up the screen with a hair blower or any other heat source, to soften the glue. You have to watch not to heat it up too much, not to break the screen, or any other part in the Nano.

Keep checking with your hands if its not getting too hot.

read more with photos & videos

0

britchick55
1

mine is stuck also and I have had one replacement, and I got it for Christmas 2012. It stuck so I could not turn it on, now it is stuck so I cant turn it off. This is not a good feature, not sure if it is still under warranty. I am very disappointed with this product. Only use it for jogging about 4 times a week. It should last more than a couple of months. Crap product. If you are considering buying a player, buy a cheaper Sony never had any problems with these MP3 players and they are way cheaper.

0

tony viteritto
1

Your right britchick55! Apple made this part of the nano cheap. This is a number 1 complaint on blogs about this model. It's either on of the volume or sleep button that usually get stuck.

The reason for this is simply wear on the small dome switch inside. Luckily it can be replaced.

I used a online repair shop named iRefresh. They sell the part and install it if you want.

0

E Ko
1

I found a company that will repair the buttons for very cheap

http://epk.allalla.com/Services/

0

suzie
1

Just got my Ipod nano 6th gen in June, 2013! Already the on/off button won't depress and I am sick of it! I am going to forget ipods altogether and use the very cheap/inexpensive music holders! NO MORE APPLE products for me!

0

tony viteritto
1

This is probably the worst piece of electronics Apple has ever put in their devices. Luckily it's a easy and pretty cheap fix. We sell the part for $19 and install it for an additional $25. However if you know a little bit about electronics you could probably install it yourself.

I think you can also buy the part here though I don't think they install...

iRefresh, ipod nano repair

0

Chris C
1

My older 6th Gen iPod Nano does the same thing and has been out of warranty for some time. I will eventually be taking it apart to permanently fix it, but for now I can get it to turn on by using the USB cable or dock, which I use it with most of the time anyway.

Although the Barios solution sounds simple enough, as he emphasized, the extremely small scale of these parts and fragile construction warrant extreme caution, otherwise you will break or lose stuff. It requires very small tools, a magnifier, good light and patience. The fact that Apple chose to use shims instead of simply manufacturing the buttons in the correct thickness was obviously an oversight on their part.

I have a friend who routinely does iPod and iPhone repair as a business and he can do this quickly and relatively affordable. I actually love the 6th Generation model because of it's very small size and the ability to wear it as a watch if you want. I was saddened to learn of Apple's decision to make the new nano twice as large.

This Month: 2,451