0

Julie
147

Battery compatibility and keeping 3.1.3 OS on older device.

I actually have 2 questions. First, according to ifixit, both the 2nd and 3rd gen Touches can take the same battery. I have the 32GB versions of both devices. Can I put the same VPN battery in both devices? Should they have different VPN batteries?

Second, the OS on the 2nd gen, right now, is 3.1.3. I'd like to keep it that way after I repair the device. Is it possible to restore it to new and still keep 3.1.3? I know some folks have given directions for this, but if someone can answer here, that would be great. :) Thanks in advance!

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , Julie ( )

1

144k

Julie, I believe that you are right. I remember having read that the batteries do fit but there is a minor difference in size and capacity. So, could you use the same battery. In my opinion, yes.

iPod Touch Gen 3 Replacement Battery and iPod Touch Gen 2 Replacement Battery gives you the numbers for the batteries.

As for keeping your OS when you do a restore with iPod. Find your *.ipsw for your ipod on your computer and write it down :) I believe it is in C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Apple or try C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates and on a mac Library>iTunes>iPod Software update I think :)

1. Download appropriate iPhone firmware from this page if you do not find your 3.1.3 http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

2. Open iTunes.

3. Connect iPod to computer using USB cable.

4. In iPod summary tab, hold down your shift button on keyboard and click Restore button.

5. A window will appear to browse the iPod software file (*.ipsw file). Select the iPod Firmware/Software/OS that you have downloaded in step number one.

Please wait until the restoring process is complete.Once it has finished the restore process you should get a message saying "Your iPod has been restored to factory settings, and is restarting. Please leave your iPod connected. It will appear in the iTunes windows after it restarts. And that should be all, Hope this helps and good luck.

iPod Touch Gen 2 Replacement Battery

Installation requires soldering — 13 available at 14.95 each.

iPod Touch Gen 3 Replacement Battery

Installation requires soldering / 750 mAh — 24 available at 14.95 each.

Yep, both batteries in the links have the same VPN! Thanks about the OS; I had thought that was the situation, wanted to be sure.

Julie,