0

Mike
1

Can I replace just the LCD screen for the A1369 MacBook Air?

Is it possible to purchase and replace just the 13" LCD screen for my A1369 Macbook Air instead of buying the entire top assembly? If it is, where can I purchase such a thing? Thanks.

Edited by: Matt Wiens ( ) , Andrew Bookholt ( ) , Mike ( )

3

Dillon
37

You mean....

This one?

+ for the research

mayer,

I've called that company and they told me that it was not compatible with the A1369 Macbook Air. Can you or anyone else recommend a replacement solution?

Mike,

Can anyone comment on this?

Mike,

I must apologize. <embarrased face> try this. Slightly more expensive, but, errmmm.... actually, I don't know where I was going there. Anyways, I wish there was a way for me to call and ensure it's compatible but I'm at school. *shrugs*

Dillon,

Anyone can find one instead of buying the entire top assembly?

Johnny,

2

Sam Bogue
25

never ever ever ever again doing this LCD replacement. You will lose valuable time/money even attempting it. Although we managed it, it took us a good 2 hours and too much stress. I totally recommend NOT doing this.

Edited by: Sam Bogue ( )

2

squeakm
25

Don't recommend doing just the LCD. Was a nightmare. Even after finally getting the screen to work the backlight failed on me. Ended up getting a pre-assembled LCD and back panel and just had to relay the camera and sort out the hinge. Was much easier. If ever doing again going to go with the full front assembly though to make life that much simpler and end up cheaper in the long run.

Good Luck.

2

Louis Rossmann
73

You guys are killing me with the negativity and misinformation.

I can do this in under 20 minutes in the middle of the day when not videotaping it. Here is a one hour video detailing the process, which is EASILY DOABLE in under 20 minutes if you're on your game, pull the old one off in one piece, and don't have to explain anything to anyone around a JVC video camera.

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/blog/a-how-...

ON THE BACKLIGHT

a) You plugged the cable in upside down(I did that enough times). It is counter intuitive, it actually appears to fit in upside down... it's annoying. The copper side has to be DOWN when plugging it into the connector on the polarizer PCB. Refer to my video.

b) You blew the backlight fuse. Check it, if blown, solder on a new one. WIll put up a video on how to replace a backlight fuse & spot it on a Macbook air shortly, but do check other videos for how to do QFN/other motherboard microsoldering.

c) You ripped the backlight cable. You're screwed. Sorry, go buy a new assembly

ON THE BEZEL

It is simple to remove this without damaging it. Simply use the right tool.

In my video, it took longer than usual for me to remove it. I can usually get that off in 40 seconds, I had a hard one that evening or maybe was just overworked and tired... either way, worst case scenario, it can be removed in five minutes. Watch the video, and you'll see the tool I use to do it - costs no more than fifteen dollars at an art supply store.

Also, don't be a lazy !@#, and make sure you remove all the old adhesive. Don't put old adhesive over new adhesive. See how my bezel fits right back in? It practically jumps back into that !@#$%^&*!@@@ when I'm done, because it's clean. It's not fun to scrape adhesive off with my fingernails for five minutes, but it IS fun to save $200. :-) I'll gladly forego a manicure to make $200.

ON THE PARTS

Yeah they're expensive as !@#$ and going down in price. I'm a more expensive vendor and I have them for $110, eventually they'll be $40-$70 just like the 11.6" Macbook Air.

Edited by: Louis Rossmann ( )

The guy in the video was quite right, it is a fxxx sxxx repair. You can do it a hundred times and still easily mess it up on the 101st run. So replace the entire assembly and sell the damaged assembly to someone else(if still worth selling) and make it someone else's headache is the wiser choice. Especially if the price difference is not that much

Tom Chai,

2

Louis Rossmann
73

The polarizer is $72-$115

The assembly is $217-$400

I know which one I'd rather be doing!

1

Greekhero
43

I changed the LCD on an A1369. Below are the highlights:

1. The screen is replaceable; but hard to find and expensive. I found one on aliexpress.com f(like ebay) for $150 was scared purchasing but it came just fine and I now like Aliexpress.

2. The LCD comes only as a glass without any screws or metal frame to screw it in the lid. It has to be taped back.

3. Backlight is fixed on the screen and diffuser papers/plexi glass sheets have to be used from the original macbook; the original owner threw them away. So, I had to buy a broken lid with screen so I can use it from there for $40.

4. You have to be careful touching the diffusers and sheet as fingerprints there will show when you have assembled the screen.

5. You need to make sure that you remove the bazel carefully; it is affixed using a double sided tape; I didn't use a heatgun but used thinner plastic cards (thinner than credit cards) to remove the bezel. I started from right bottom of the screen where I used a thin screw driver to lift the bezel and then used the card to slide it up and around the three sides; bottom you have to do it only about 1 inch on each side and then lift it simultaneously from right and left side (using one edge would bend the bezel irreversibly).

6. Also, make sure that you clean the tape and gunk before putting the new screen in place.

Parts that I needed:

1. Gloves to make sure that I don't leave any marks on the screen diffusers.

2. Silicon roller to pick up dust from diffusers (from ebay).

3. LCD screen from ali express.

4. Replacement diffusers from another screen (if you have them then you don't need them).

5. Double sided 3M tape .

I will never do one replacement like this again. It seems you can find people doing it professionally for $230; check the internet; this way if there are imperfectinos you have someone to work with.

0

Tom Chai

the screen and the top case are irreversibly fused together, so that is not possible

I have to agree with Tom Johnson on this one. I just took an A1369 display apart, and it is impossible to replace just the screen.

Cory Jacobs,

0

ycnex
1

Yes, you can! But don't forget to buy front aluminium bezel, it's impossible to remove it without damages :) a1369 and a1466 screens are compatible

is this the same as the macbook Air 2010 11 A1370 model?

Kane Appleton,

All you need just to warm the bezel and remove it carefully, then carefully remove the LCD it's not so scary :)

ycnex,

Cheap heat gun, made in China :)

ycnex,

what did you use to separate the bezel and what heat source? hairdryer heat gun? kane

Kane Appleton,

0

YoloRepair ca
1k

You can replace the LCD but it's extreme difficult. Probably the hardest LCD I've ever had to replace.

10/10 expert level. Trust me...

I did not damage the bezel or the back light.

0

hitpatel2
307

Your laptop will never be the same after replacement. Pay the money to apple $440.00 + TX, if you really love your laptop.

OR, sell this one for parts, Logic board will get you good money and buy a new one.

2 hitpatel2 it possible to buy screen assembly a little bit cheaper if you really love your money :) 100% BRAND NEW 13.3" LED LCD Screen Assembly For MacBook Air A1369 LAPTOP 2012 HOT SELLING US $400.00 / piece Free Shipping

ycnex,

0

pwaulo
1

I followed the video online but ended up breaking my polarizer while trying to get the LCD off. Now I have to order a whole assembly. At least I tried getting the whole thing apart before I ordered the new LCD.

0

Louis Rossmann
73

Woah woah woah, NOT SO FAST!

What did you break? Take pictures! You probably DO NOT have to order something new. Show me. pictures. Now. Do not pass go, do not order !@#$.

email me. louis at rossmanngroup dot com.

The polarizer is attached to this red/pink piece, then there's a protective ridged thingie, that !@#$ all goes in the garbage. Then there's a light diffusor that is held in by these four white tabs on the left & right.. THAT, you can't !@#$ up, but the rest is fair game.