0

Andrea Berti
11

Optical Drive Replacement - Is it necessary installing anything after?

Hi, I think my optical drive is dead because doesn't read cd or dvd. When I insert one of these, it runs for 10-15 seconds and then it ejects them.

Is it possible that's true?

If it's true I'm thinking to replace my sperdrive.

Is it necessary to install anything when I replaced the superdrive or it's plug&play?

Thanks. Andrea (Italy) bertiandrea@interfree.it

Edited by: Andrea Berti ( )

0

Skippy722

You can replace the drive using this guide -

MacBook Core 2 Duo Optical Drive Replacement

and you can buy the part here - MacBook 8x SuperDrive (Used)

Although that's outrageously expensive...

MacBook 8x SuperDrive (Used)

DVD-RW/CD-RW internal drive / 8x DVD read, 24x CD read, 8x DVD-R write, 8x DVD+R write, 4x DVD-RW write, 24x CD-R write, 10x CD-RW write — 4 available at 199.95 each.

Last night I tryed to find a solution. Some web users have my same problems so I found that the problem probably is the firmware and not the hardware. So I dowloaded 4 different firmwares from the web: - "AP-12": not ufficial but I can't install it because it doesn't find previous firmware version and I can't proceed to installation. - "BP-10": see only movie dvd but doesn't run files inside it. - "A101,A01": read only audio cd or datas cd. - "A103,A02": (latest version) read only movie dvd or datas dvd All versions sometimes runs and sometimes no. Is there anyone who have an other firmware version? ...firmware version who reads all cd and dvd? Thanks

Andrea Berti,

1

mayer

To answer your question, NO. It's plug and play.

0

remacberlin

The superslim drives in these Macs are notoriously prone to failure. If you're not dependent on an optical on the road do yourself a favour and get an inexpensive external USB drive. LG sells good ones.