1

Melodie
23

How can I make Teddy's mouth move?

teddy ruxpin's mouth will not move. tapes work and sounds great.

Edited by: Melodie ( )

2

Melodie found this on Teddy Ruxpin and it is what should work for your "patient" Great job in keeping Teddy Ruxpin around. Best of luck and I hope you get it fixed.

The best solution is to take Teddy apart and rebuild the servo motors.  If you don't want to go that expense, there are also some "quick fix" tips you can try:  For the eyes not working, with your thumbs, push Teddy's eyes open and shut.  Besides poking him in the eye and breaking the frame, you will not damage Teddy even if you force his eyes to open and enough to get the eyes unstuck.  If that doesn't work, play the tape and move the eyes open and shut.  For the mouth the same thing.  In the 1st and 2nd generation bears, you can do this to both the upper and lower mouth.  In the third generation bear, it is important that you move only the lower mouth as that is the part that is in contact with the servo motor and the upper mouth spring connects to it.  On the 2 servo bear if the lower mouth works but the upper mouth does not, it is probably a problem with the spring connecting the two.  In this case you upper mouth does not move up when the lower mouth is pulled downward when the bear is off.

There are also a few videos on youtube about it.

Edited by: Kyle Wiens ( )

thanks for your help. we will try this.

Melodie,

good research!

pollytintop,

Thanks oldturkey03 for helping me. I have tried the moving of the eyes and mouth while playing but that didn't work. I am hoping my husband will be able to take the advice I have been getting and be able to fix it. Teddy has been stored for several years and now my daughter helps with pre-k children and wanted Teddy and Grubby to read the Christmas book and it broke my heart that it wouldn't work. But believe me, I will work to get it fixed. I am one of those momma's that want get rid of anything. They say I have junk but it is funny how my junk has been alot of fun to go through.

Melodie,

Best of luck

pollytintop,

Melodie, good luck to you and I am certain your persistence is going to work in Teddies favor. I am sure once you free the servos it will be as good as new. :)

0

Francie
1

I'm in the same boat as Melodie. We have had Teddy and Grubby stored in a plastic box for years. They were a gift for our oldest son, now 30. He now has his first child and we wanted to pass it on. Both Teddy and Grubby talk, Teddy opens and shuts his eyes, but Grubby's eye's no longer blink. We'll try moving them manually. Hope it works. Do you have any other suggestions?

Francie

Francie, have you tried the link embedded in the original answer? Just click on the blue "this on Teddy Ruxpin"....

0

Jill Hannah
31

Other than trying to manually start the servos, the only other way to get them to work again is to take Grubby apart and clean the gears in the servos(motors) and restart the motors with a power source. Dolls that have been in storage for years need to be taken apart and cleaned for them to work properly. The grease used in the 1st generation dolls has the tendency over time to harden around the pin that moves the motor and/or "gum up" the gears, causing the eyes, upper jaw, or lower jaw to work improperly or not at all, and unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to take the doll apart. Good luck!