0

jerrypeters
11

Intermittent starting problems - Passat V6

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours. It seems to start when the engine is cranked for 10 or more seconds and the accelerator is pushed and held to the floor. When it starts there is a strong smell of fuel - indicating that the engine was flooded. The "accelerator to the floor" solution does not always work and usually does not work the first time.

Edited by: jerrypeters ( )

0

XnriquX

This was happening on my GTI 1.8t. The problem was that the fuel pump connector had a crack in it so there was fuel leaking onto the top part of the gas tank. I had my vw shop replace the fuel pump and it was free since there was a fuel pump recall that affected my model. A new pump is around $100.00 US dollars and the repair is fairly easy to do so a shop should only charge you about 1hr of labor maximum.

Thanks for the response. I don't think this is my problem. A leaking fuel pump wouldn't be intermittent and it wouldn't "cure" itself by waiting. Also I don't smell fuel except when it eventually starts (in the exhaust) since it was flooded. Thanks anyway.

jerrypeters,

Are you still experiencing this problem? My GTI went back to having these symptoms so it indeed was not the pump. It seems that it only does it in cold weather conditions. I researched it and vwvortex had a couple of people with that problem and I found a troubleshooting guide that pointed at the fuel pump relay as a possible cause. I changed out the relay and it has been 2 weeks now with no apparent problems. Look for a troubleshooting guide for your V6 engine there. An easy way to tell that you have a bad relay is to listen carefully when you open your door and you will hear the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear it then your car probably wont start and you have a bad fuel pump relay.

XnriquX,

0

chari
1

I just had the exact same problem, I went to the local Wolksw dealer and the diagnose was that the COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR had to be replaced. The diagnose cost was $120, more $240 for the part and labor. Good luck!

0

kobmiester35
1

hi,

I too have the same problem except that I an alarm installed on my car and for the past couple of days i would go to turn the ignition and the dash lights would come on and the alarm would sound . talk about embarrassing engine won't start. The first time it did this it had sat all night. I checked oil last night and it was nearly bone dry so i added a quart of oil and went straight home. my check engine light also came on. and came back on on my way home

0

Erina
1

I have the same problem as posted above:

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours.

I took it to autozone and one of the computer print outs said "coolant temp censor" like listed above. So far we have replaced the coil pack and spark plugs, and it has not fixed anything.