1

Tom
23

Can you make your own 'end nipple' on a braking cable?

Those cylinders at the end of cables break off sometimes. Is there some cheap way to replace it? I tried tying it around a little metal 'wheel'. That seems to work. But might be too big to fit in some brake levers.

• If the question is not clear, tell me. It's a hard question to translate from Dutch!

Edited by: Tom ( )

i think it's called a swage /suage? it is cramped on to stop line coming through? try a going to a marine chandlery- we used to sell them for next to nothing-must be lots of chandlery places in holland! someone else may have a better fix though so i've posted as a comment.

pollytintop,

Excellent answer pollytintop. I was thinking in the same lines about the little round lead weights they crimp on fishing lines--same general principal. I believe you are correct however in that if you can find a marine unit small enough it would probably wear better.

rj713,

It is for stopping brake cable from slipping through. So indeed, it needs to be able to stand quite some tension without slipping. Did you guys get that? Will those crimps hold? I will try to get my hands on them and test it myself.

Tom,

The swages pollytintop recommends are used to keep mast and rigging up in saiboats and safety lines on all kinds of boats. Properly swaged they should hold just fine.

rj713,

just what i was going to say....

pollytintop,

4

Captain Blight
185

As much as I loathe the idea of replacing the brake cable because the swaged end is mangled, I think it's the right thing to do (and I work in a bike shop that specializes in used bicycles and vintage repair, I'm not one of the new breed who can;t overhaul a 3-speed hub). It's a very inexpensive part, five bucks tops; and the old brake cable is of course re-purposeable for any number of things.

There is nothing on a bicycle that's complicated. Almost every single part can be overhauled or rebuilt.

Nicely answered. I actually agree with you, but have answered because Tom wants to know if it's possible.... Expert opinion is valuable to ifixit, +

pollytintop,

2

pollytintop

this is sort of what i meant-it refers to a copper end stop/cap-

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.c...

if you have a local shop they are usually pretty handy and will know if they have something like it which will take the pressure of the brakes....and at pennies... got to be worth a quick phone call.

Those should work fine +

rj713,

If i would have a proper tool, i would go for them. But I think a new cable is the most efficient option.

Tom,

1

sxbike
13

We are talking about the brakes here! This is what stops you. I know of no reliable way to replace the molded on end. Replace the cable they cost very little.

Well, if the question is "can" you. I guess the answer is yes you "can" . In an emergency, get you home situation you can tie a knot in the cable. You can even use a gear cable. Use the brakes with great care and replace with a proper cable when you get home. There are clamp on ends made for straddle cables for cantilevers and U brakes. Basically a cylinder with a hole and a set screw. Not very reliable, because the set screw squishes and damages the cable and it will eventually fail.

Edited by: sxbike ( )

1

Gordon Senzer
13

Duh... There's a binding post screw that keeps the cable from slipping so, don't worry about the end caps having to fix the cable.

The purpose of the end cap is to prevent the cable from fraying.

Don't go to a chandlery for marine hardware - its much too heavy and probably too big for the cable.

Instead, try one these 3 things;

1) Go to bike store and ask for end cap. Usually free... Crimp it on with any old pair of pliers

2) Dip the end cable in a little epoxy of super glues (this is what I do).

3) Use a benzo torch to cut the cable or, even melt the end (My local bike shop does this -very slick!).

1

lsbf
13

Bicycle cable ends are available from you local bike shop, and online. They crimp on to prevent the cable end from fraying. I prefer using a plastic bead, like the kind associated with Mardi Gras.

Tools & supplies: Plastic beads, small butane torch (a butane lighter will do in a pinch), good wire cutter (preferably a bicycle specific one).

1. cut cable, so end is not frayed.

2. heat end of cable till it turns red.

3. slide/ melt the bead on.

1

Tony
13

You can use a aluminum nail rivet to prevent the brake cable from fraying. Separate the rivet from the nail and slide it over the cable. Rivet works best to be crimped with a little squeeze with side cutters but not cutting into the cable. Rivets can be bought at home depot Lowe's hardware stores can be used for brake cables and derailleur's.

Edited by: Tony ( )

0

daeleven
1

go to the hardware store and get some cable crimps for connecting two cables.

0

Captain Blight
185

To add to what I said upthread, the "end"-- for that's what it's actually called, either Mountain or Road-- is actually a zinc alloy that is hot-poured and cast in place around the end of the cable. I've toyed with the idea of making my own (there are some odd, sui generis French brakes that take a specialized straddle wire) but at the end of the day, it's really a false economy.

0

jack sprat
1

Dip the end in molten pot metal.

First, melt down an old pot.