0

Thomas
11

Macbook Air Power button not working

Hello. I own a Macbook Air A1237. My sister accidentally spilled a little beer on the keyboard. After it dried out, I plugged the laptop in, hit the power button, and nothing. The green light comes on the side of the laptop, then goes yellow(I assume that means the battery is charging). If I disconnect the battery, and plug the laptop in, the laptop powers on by itself and works.

Do I need a New keyboard with power button?

Laptop does not come on. If I disconnect the battery, then plug the laptop in, and wait a moment, then the laptop comes on, without me pushing the power button.

Edited by: Thomas ( ) , iRobot ( )

Can you depress the button itself?

rab777hp,

Just to clarify, when you open the machine up and disconnect the internal battery, and then plug the machine back into the wall, it powers up by itself? At that point, with the internal battery disconnected, can you shut down and restart the computer? Or does the power button still not work when the battery is disconnected?

mister790,

So you're opening up the laptop and disconnecting the internal battery, right? Once you're at that stage and the laptop has started up by itself, can you shut it down and restart using the power button?

mister790,

No...I can choose restart, and it reboots; That works. When I choose shutdown, and the laptop powers down, it stays off. Once it is finished shutting down, I push(press/depress) the power button and nothing happens. I have tried pushing the power button, even holding it, multiple times, and nothing happens.

Thomas,

Button can be pressed/depressed, but, nothing happens.

Thomas,

1

machead3

You should clean the inside of the laptop when you have it appart - corrosion will set in, and more problems will develop over time if you don't.

'''

Yes a new topcase will be needed.' Liquid shorted out either/both the connector cable or the power button. ''

Good Luck,

N.

0

davis
1

have the same issue though the power button answers when reseting SMC - shift +ctrl+alt+cmd+power button but not otherwise only on this stroke..very strange..

UPDATE!

Allright, just after i was writing the previous answer/question i was playing with the machine and measured the voltage on the connection to the logicboard on the logicboard side and not on the Trackpad side, i kept pressing the power button and wanted to check if there is any reaction, at the beginning there was nothing and than i got 5v on pin number 4 or 5 from the left this pins normally gives 3v when turned off and 5v when turned on..now the power button works again..il let you know if it keeps that way.

but i obviously shortened something in there that activated the pin again.

Edited by: davis ( )