0

Rick
1

Why does my clothes dryer squeal?

When I start my dryer it squeals like a belt is loose. Can I check it myself and replace it if it is a belt? It is a Sears Kenmore about 5 years old. 700 Series.

With the model number I can direct you to parts. It's located either on the bottom inside og the door or the door jam or on the left side.

mayer,

3

mayer

See if you can tell which one of these is making the noise.

Rollers

Many dryers use rollers or wheels to support the clothes drum. When these rollers are worn, they can be noisy. You should replace the whole set of rollers at the same time.

Idler pulley

Dryers have a tension or idler pulley that keeps tension on the main drive belt. When it's worn, it can be noisy. When that happens, don't lubricate it. Just replace it.

Glides

Many dryers use nylon or plastic glides at the front of the clothes drum for support. When these are worn, they can be noisy. When that happens, replace them.

Rear drum bearing

Some dryers support the clothes drum in the rear with a center spindle instead of rollers. The spindle may be a ball-and-socket type support or a shaft through a sleeve. When the components are worn, they may squeak, squeal, or rub. You can't repair them. Just replace them when they're worn.

Blower wheel

Your dryer's blower wheel pulls air over the heat source, through the clothes drum, and past the thermostats, then pushes it out the exhaust duct. The blower wheel, which is usually plastic, may wear out over time. But if it's noisy, it may simply be clogged with lint. Clean the blower and test to see if the dryer is still noisy. If it is, you probably need to replace it

Edited by: mayer ( )

Jeez, Mayer - you know something about everything, don't you? +

remacberlin,

You live long enough and pay attention you can continue to learn ;-) Remember, the older you get the smarter your parents appear to be.

mayer,

Yowsa, great answer!

Kyle Wiens,

Concur--great answer +

rj713,