0

Janet
1

Powers up but black screen

My laptop powers up, but the screen is black.

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , oldturkey03, machead3, and mayer ( )

3

rj713

Hook up an external monitor to determine if you have a logic board or LCD problem If the external monitor works the trouble is with the display or its cables. You should also double check that your memory is properly installed and you may want to replace your bios battery. I have included a link for teardown of your unit. Good luck.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/to...

+ good

mayer,

6

Chuck
81

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. Replace the battery. If this does not work, try it again up to four times. No results usually indicates a bad mother board. Hope this helps.

Wow, worked like a charm! I can get my assignment turned in!!!!

Jeff,

0

the one by oldturkey above worked for me! :)

neil,

Did a lot of searching, and by crikey oldturkey's one worked for me too just now. Seems bizarre, almost like voodoo, but this seemed like the easiest solution from all the other ones I found to try. Note: my wife pulled the battery out and it still didn't work, but I followed those instructions exactly and it's perfect now first time!

Martin Russell,

I thought it might be over for my laptop but I tried what oldturkey03 suggested and it worked on my first attempt. If you still check this post, thanks a bunch oldturkey03. Monkies4kids

uilani bourgeois,

oldturkey03's method worked perfect for me. However, the windows seems to have a problem loading up, the system probably fell. Installed a new copy and is working fine now, thank you.

amr ossama,

I did as above old turkey o3, worked first time, I had been working on my daughters toshiba for a few hours went away , came back and blank screen. Even after forcing shut down still nothing. I thought a trip to the computer shop was in order!! But thought I'd google the problem and was directed to here and the rest is history back up and running so so easy thank you old turkey03

Trina,

0

Pablo
1

Here's what worked for me. It might work if your case is the same as me: the screen was displaying but very dimly, and I could see the desktop or whatever lighting it with a flashlight. Look closely, and if that's the case, the problem must be your backlight.

I tried the trick with the power buttton but nothing happened, and the oldturkey-joel method involves disassembilng, which I don't dare to do.

Try what I (accidentally) did: connect your laptop to an external monitor, and with its aid activate the laptop's cammera. Only this turned the backlight on again in my Toshiba Satellite L45. I hope it works on your machine as well!

0

Shirin
1

Hi there,

I have same problem with my Toshiba Sattelite laptop, it started about 4 months ago, and sometimes happening, yesterday and an hour ago happened again.

sometimes it takes half a day to but then it has to restore the laptop, and sometimes like today it just talk few minutes. Same as everyone else I tried everything, removing battery, pluging or unpluging power, but it's just annoying to deal with it like that all the time.

While I was searching on the internet i came a crose on to toshiba forum and this is what they replied to the person who had same problem. " your laptop or screen lamp/light is dead/dying". and also there were some links to ebay and amazon to buy the things, it was around of £3, £5 and simmilar.

0

davy hud
1

Thank you worked first time. Virtual high five.

0

Jason
1

Ive seen something similar on a newer model, an L55. I am a computer repair professional. I too am seeking a resolution through Toshiba, but have found a short-term fix.

Support wants the laptop sent in, and customers bring me the laptops in fear that they will lose their data if they send the computer back. Every time this has happened, I have been able to fix it by pulling off the back cover and resetting CMOS with the small black button near the CR2032 CMOS battery. I would like an answer from Toshiba on why this is happening.

Your tip of removing the battery and discharging capacitance by holding down the power button would normally suffice, but this model does not have a removable battery... Stupidest thing ive ever seen.

This Week: 1,065

This Month: 4,603