0

Stephan Jaeger
23

How to clean dock connector?

Hiya,

My 2-year old son spilled soup over the iPhone 1st generation (16GB). It's still functional, but when I connect it via the dock with iTunes, iTunes can't recognise it.

I am hoping that once I clean the dock connector, the iPhone will sync again with iTunes. When I connect it to my Mac without launching iTunes, it seems to charge.

So, mainly it's working - it's just the syncing that doesn't work.

Any ideas how to clean the dock connector?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

All the best,

Stephan

Edited by: Stephan Jaeger ( )

1

pollytintop

You may be able to just use a cotton ear bud or something smaller dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean out the docking port. Just make sure the phone is off.

You may also need to check the USB lead hasn't got soupy too! If these things don't work it may be the dock has shorted and needs to be replaced.

Let it dry for a few hours before powering up

Fab. Glad we helped

pollytintop,

1

Stephan Jaeger
23

Hiya, I ended up using a sheet of a very small screwdriver, a sheet of a kitchen roll and some isopropyl alcohol.

The soup was quite sick, therefore I had to use the screwdriver to scratch the remains of. The earbud was too big to get inbetween the dock connector and the rim, so I used a folded sheet of kitchen roll to clean the rest.

Now the iPhone is working again - phew! Thanks for your feedback. All the best, Stephan