3

Brando
37

xbox always says open disc tray

When a game is inserted the xbox still says "open tray". I have googled this and found it to be called "open tray error". Is there a way to fix this?

Edited by: Sterling Hirsh ( )

3

Mark Williams
37

Mine did this last night, found the following procedure on a youtube video somewhere. Cant find the link because YouTube is blocked here:

1: Turn off the machine (with no disc in)

2: Turn on the machine by opening the disc tray

3: Physically force the disc tray back in with force. Not so much that you snap the thing or knock it off its runners, but enough that the motors stop retracting the tray.

The tray should stop ajar for a few seconds before the machine composes itself and continues to retract the tray.

4: Reboot the xbox and the drive should function normally.

Unsure exactly why this works but my best tech head says that the controller for the drive gets into a bit of a tizzy and doesnt realise that the laser is incorrectly calibrated. Forcing the tray this way makes the drive perform some sort of self-check in which it re-calibrates itself and works.

2

Cody
759

if your xbox is out of warranty you can try taking it apart opening the disc drive and and cleaning off the laser with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol....this would also be a good time to blow out any dust that may be inside the disc drive or in the console itself

Good Luck

1

crystal
25

I tried all of the different fixes for this error that I found. There was one that finnally worked for me after hours of tinkering.

You have to take the xbox apart and remove the dvd-rom. Open this as well. On the side of the laser unit there are two tiny screw looking things. The one on the left adjusts the laser hight. I had to adjust it for about an hour befor getting the exact possition. I also scratched a game with the lazer by moveing it too high so be careful and don't use your favorite game.

Yup that is called the POT tweak, Xbox-scene has a great PDF. http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_...

Jay,

0

tristan
1

there is probably dust or dirt on your laser reader. i had the same problem it wont read the games, there is a disc for about $15 about that cleans it just put it in and do what it tells you. if it doesn't read that disc just hit that top of the xbox when it is reading it.

0

Ethan Cleveland
1

Settings> system settings> Under one of those tabs is something to the effect of Auto disk read when tray is closed. Make sure it's set to "yes" and then try. Worked for me and I tried everything else. Nothing worked but this.

0

Wade
287

Don't waste your time trying to tweak the POT settings. Simply replace the laser with a new one. For approx. $15 and an hour of time (if you've never opened the console) you can have it back up and running.

The best suggestion is to find a local repair shop that specializes in game console repairs. They will have replaced the laser many times and will have it done in no time.

This Month: 1,497