2

RX78
25

PS2 Reads CDs but not DVDs?

My PS2 reads CDs fine, but produces a disc read error when trying to read a DVD. All CDs work fine (PS1 games, audio CDs, and some PS2 games released on CD), however all DVDs (DVD videos, and PS2 games released on DVD) produce a disk read error. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks if you can help!

3

WiredExtreme

Just follow this guide here on iFixit and this should fix your problem. PlayStation 2 Optical Disc Drive Lens Cleaning Replacement

I followed this guide and it half-fixed my problem - the console now reads DVD discs to an extent, but it still has issues. A DVD video I tried to play was really stuttery and a game I tried in it came up with the PlayStation 2 logo but then froze on a black screen. Sometimes the console will change to a red version of the main menu screen and ask me to insert a PlayStation or PlayStation 2 disc. Thanks for the guide though, at least it has helped me make some progress :)

RX78,

+ better answer today than yesterday ;-)

mayer,

1

Brian Tan
13

I have heard of this solution before and I tried it but there's a chance the lens is "too old" and it might need to be changed.

If ifixit.com can post the guide to that, it would help?

ps. When my problem comes up, before the "Disc Read Error" message shows up, I usually hear the disc spinning followed by some dull click-click-click sound a few times repeating. Is that similar to your situation?

Yes, before getting any error there is a clicking coming from the DVD drive. The disc is definitely spinning while this is happening too. Hopefully there is a fix that doesn't require a replacement lens...

RX78,

0

pengekcs
13

You could also try to adjust the potmeters that set the current strength flowing thru the lens coils. If you make the potmeter's resistance 5-10% lower than what it is currently it will probably be more than enough to read your DVD discs. You have to take apart the PS2, then unscrew the 4 screws on top of the disc drive. Also eject the tray before you unscrew the 4 top screws from the drive. Then take the rails out (the laser head rests on them) and turn the laser head over. You will see 2 small pots in there. Maybe they have a cd / dvd text written below them, maybe not - the thing is one of the adjusts the current for reading cds the other for dvds. If you want to make sure all is good, measure their current values with a multimeter, and write it down. Then subtract 5% first from both of them, adjust, measure and put everything all together. It should work. If not repeat and subtract an other 5%. You should not lower the value by more than 15-20% as that would almost immediately kill the laser.