3

moppskaft
37

Turns on but theres no picture.

I have an old PAL Nintendo 64 that I wanted to play the other day. Unfortunately it wouldn't work. The machine itself turns on as the red light light up as usual, but I couldn't get any picture on the screen.

I tried different cables including an old SNES cable (that worked last time some years ago) and a GameCube s-video cable.

I have a fairly new TV, but I'm certain I configured it right.

Any help would be appreciated!

(Sorry if theres any spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language.)

Update:

Hi, and thanks for the replies! :)

Unfortunately I've been away and haven't had access to my N64.

I've tried:

- Removing the Expansion Pack (original) and putting it back in.

- To blow on the cartridge and on the machine.

- Different games.

- Different cables. They work on my SNES.

- Cleaning the connections on the game with a dry q-tip on a game not that important.

Haven't got any isopropyl. When I start the machine I don't get anything. No video nor audio. The screen doesn't even flicker. I have a HDTV, but my SNES works just fine. I'm starting to get scared.

Is there anything else I can do?

Edited by: moppskaft ( )

Hi, and thanks for the replies! :) Unfortunately I've been away and haven't had access to my N64. I've tried: - Removing the Expansion Pack (original) and putting it back in. - To blow on the cartridge and on the machine. - Different games. - Different cables. They work on my SNES. - Cleaning the connections on the game with a dry q-tip on a game not that important. Haven't got any isopropyl. When I start the machine I don't get anything. No video nor audio. The screen doesn't even flicker. I have a HDTV, but my SNES works just fine. I'm starting to get scared. Is there anything else I can do?

moppskaft,

Kinda wished I hadnt of smashed mine now D:

Trent,

4

TimTreadwell
49

Some times that happens to me. Seems to be the game or connections with the console and cartidge. If I keep trying to get it to work(by reseating the game) it usually works. Notice I did not say "reseting" earlier. Try a diffrent game, see if that one works.

2

Abs
25

No picture could mean the game not loading up. In that case its best to clean the contacts of the game carts. I use isopropyl alcohol.

If it's not the game, make sure to to clean the AV plug or buy a replacement cable. Make note that the N64 does not support RGB Scart.

N64 units are pretty tough. I bought one from a stand drenched in rain water and still managed to get it working. Hopefully you can get your system working. Good luck!

2

Hey moppskaft, not sure if you are still working on your N64 but i dug up some info that could be worthwhile to check out. First of, there seem to be a lot of people with the same issues as you are having. It looks like you have already done all of the most common errors like faulty cables and dirty connections. So what i found is this video http://www.booads.com/videos-re-how-do-i... that shows how that person fixed his with an identical issue. Of course not sure if it will work for you but give it a try. Can't hurt :) there are also a few forums that discuss this problem as well they are at http://gametz.com/Welcome.html this site explains the hardware http://n64.icequake.net/ So I hope this helped you somewhat, if not get back with us on here and let us know so we can continue to get your legacy console going again:) Good luck

1

Matt
13

The same thing happened to me it's because of the new tv's, Put your expansion pack in the n64 then try it again.

Edited by: Matt ( )

The first two steps of this guide show what Matt is talking about. Tell us if it works!

Ben Sweedler,

1

Eric Volkmer
13

Try reconnecting the wires to the console and TV/VCR and/or take out the game cartridge, blow in the bottom, and replace into console.

0

Wombler
25

I've got the same issue just with an NTSC version, just a little more info on what I've done, etc.

With all my games I have audio, but no video. The TV screen will go black when the unit is powered on and I get the audio from the game booting up. I know the cable is fine because it works on my buddy's Game Cube.

I've opened the unit up and used a point file (didn't have any isopropyl laying around at the time) on all the contacts- expansion pack, game slot, power connector and a/v connector. Also done the same with the contacts on the expansion pack and a few of the games.

just kinda wondering what my next steps are...

Try asking this as a new question, you'll have a better chance of getting an answer!

Ben Sweedler,

0

Cristopher
1

Hey I think that this is happening because the system is broken or something is not right in the system. Check your system and shake it. If you hear a something in the system moving or making noise, then that means your system is broken. I know that because that happened to my system. The best solution to your problem would be considering getting a new Nintendo 64. I did that and me new system works very finely! You could get yours repaired but because of the system's oldness (from 1996), Nintendo doesn't offer any repairs to it due to lack of people knowing how to fix it. Like I said before, the best solution is to get a new system.

0

Drone
1

No.... N64 run on either 240p or 480i depending on the game, let me also add that most all the N64 games are 240p and won't play on most newer TVs and is only properly viewable on SDTV CRT's. 480i is full reselution SDTV signal and is viewable on any SDTV and HDTV. I ran into this problem when I was trying to circuit-bend my sega genisis which runs on 240p and had to stick a digital pass through between the TV and sega. Digital pass throughs (DPT) are fairly easy to obtain for low cost. Radioshack sells a DPT called a RF Modulator and I believe it goes for 35-50. That will fix your problem with the N64's resolution.

0

teddy
1

i would try using an older model t.v. to attempt to see if it works because i have the same problem with my N64 and i believe it should work but make sure it's not a digital t.v.Because i have tried those and they didn't work so try it and see if it works if it does i need to know before i take my old t.v. out of storage to try it.so let me know so i don't screw up.Have the best of luck with the probable solution.I would advise a 2003 model or older.

Edited by: teddy ( )

0

alperenkolamu
1

Merhaba bende de nintendo 64 var. geçenlerde bunu televizyona taktığımda televizyon av modunda boş boş çalışıyor. geçenlerde nintendo 642ün kaset yuvasına süper nintendonun kasetlerinden birini takmıştım acaba ondan mı? ben pek sanmıyorum. görüntü kablolarını kontrol ettim ama bir bozukluk görmedim. Acaba anakart mı bozuk? yardım ederseniz sevinirim.

for english;

Hi, I have the nintendo 64. when I inserted the blank television game mode, it works on TV recently. I was stuck in one of the cassette tapes 642ün slot super nintendo Nintendo's recently wonder is it? I do not think so. I checked the cables, but I have not seen the image of a disorder. I wonder if the motherboard is damaged? I'd appreciate if you help.

0

thegamestorems
1

Is your pin clean??????? I own a video game store and specialize in nintendo.. use a worn out paper fingernail file.. in 2 years I have never had a customer bring a console back. It works in 10 seconds.. clean games with lysol toilet bowl cleaner without bleach . Use a q tip with a small amount then use 91% alcohol to clean the lysol residue.. I never have games come back. Never blow on games!!!! The game store ms

Never, never, never blow on games or inside your pin. When you blow on games it makes the copper pins inside the game tarnish. The tarnish is what keeps the games from working. The game store ms.

NEVER and I mean never ever blow on games. The reason games dont work is that the copper pins in the game tarnish due to humidity. When u blow on games it makes it worse. Ive heard all kind of secret cleaning methods. Now let me tell you the 2 that work every time. To clean a pin in consoles use a worn out paper fingernail file, it takes 10 seconds. If a system turns on this trick will work. Now for the 2nd cleaning trick is for cartridge games a qtip and lysol toilet bowl cleaner without bleach then a qtip and 91% alcohol. These 2 cleaning methods work and work all the time.. in 2 years I have never had a console or games brought back to my store not working.. michael the game store ms

Edited by: thegamestorems ( )

0

Gwyn Dixon
1

Hi all, bought my sister a 64 for Christmas. We had the same problem with the red light and nothing on screen. We played around with our tvc's aspect ratio, changing from 16:9 to 4:3 and the games starting working!!! If you have an option for "original" aspect ratio that should work too :)

Good luck!

0

caleb
1

Fixed!!!

I was having the same problem today. I got a 64 from Craigslist and it wasnt working. Tried 3 tvs (2 hdtv's & 1 analog) using the red/white/yellow cord. The red light was coming on the system but the tv screen was totally blank. But turns out all I had to do was rub Isopropyl Alcohol inside the game (007 Goldeneye) w a Qtip and put it back in and it worked! It worked on the analog and Vizio 32" hdtv. Looked better in HD. I got a good amountof black and green out of the game.

0

1213
1

have one but it dosent work on silcone vally take 3.

-1

Dwayne Taylor
1

Take out the expansion pack and the put ti back in.

This Month: 2,778