2

Chisholm Conine
35

Game cartridge won't stay down.

My game cartridge won't stay down, it still plays games but I have to put something (like another cartridge) in between the game and the system.

Edited by: Chisholm Conine ( )

4

Eric Essen

There is a little plastic hook that pops out to catch the cartridge tray. It must not be extending enough or be worn.

Sticking a 2nd game cartridge in is a good hack to make it work (very common, but usually used to compensate for a worn out 72-pin connector not completely making contact with the game cartridges, causing the flashing screen/powerlight) or you can open it and see if you can fix or replace the cartridge tray latch.

4

nintendorepair
35

Hi folks,

Nintendo Repair Shop repair tech here. We actually have created a guide to instruct users on how to repair their NES system. The trick with the game cartridge tray is to make sure a plastic latch hooks underneath the NES motherboard. Check out our NES System Repair Guide for details on how to repair your NES System, and the trick with the game cartridge latch.

1

Flunky
13

Who is this Nintendo Repair Shop tech wanna be? That link provided only shows replacement of the 72 pin connector, not the cartridge tray.

Anyways, the "latch" is a small metal pin that rides in a two-way track one push locks it second push unlocks it. Pull the whole black plastic "tray" out and you'll find two opposite parts made of white or blue plastic imbedded in the middle of the tray. Either the "track half" is worn or the "pin half" has broken or bent. Mine was the pin half, properly bending a safety pin and simply replacing it fixed mine. There is no part of the latch that connects "under the mother board" I repeat, there is no need to pull the MoBo to fix the latch! Good Luck! http://youtu.be/2thdshhBbZE

Edited by: Flunky ( )

0

nesgamers
1

It's easier just to buy a working NES Game Cartridge Holder as it's difficult to keep it work correctly after the plastic that holds the metal pin becomes worn at the pinnacle. That's generally what causes the problem of the cart "staying down," or the cart "refusing to stay down." Both are caused by a worn plastic bushing. They're relatively cheap so why hassle with trying to reposition the pin? You can buy one here:

http://nesrepairshop.com/online_shopping...

0

deeyung
1

If you've recently done repair on your nintendo, and have removed the cartridge holder at some point , when you replace the cartridge holder , if you tighten the front two screws too tightly , then it will cause the cartridge to not stay down .In this case ,all you will need to do is take the top off your nintendo and slightly loosen the front two screws of your cartridge holder . This commonly happens when someone replaces a 72 pin connector if they are not aware of this . Now , the cartridge has to be level . But , you must not loosen the screws in the back of your cartridge holder . If I am repairing my nintendo , I will usually before I put the top back on , put a game in there and start loosening and tightening the front screws until I get a connection .

Edited by: deeyung ( )