0

Akber Jesani
131

type of adhesive or glue to use for lcd & glass?

What type of adhesive is used to adhere the LCD and the GLASS together when re-assembling the phone back together. The parts that I have ordered the glass and LCD assembly did not come pre-assembled what is the best solution for this?

4

PhoneFix Pro
79

LOCA - Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (UV Glue)

LOCA2 - Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive - New Formula (UV Glue)

OCA - Optically Clear Adhesive (Sticker but needs autoclave to remove bubbles)

The UV glue is being sold on eBay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-Glue-LOCA-Liq...

Edited by: PhoneFix Pro ( )

2

remacberlin

On the unibody MacBooks (Pro) they apparently use standart 3M doublesided tape. I think that'll be alright for the iPhone too.

I don't think 3M Double sided tape would be as strong of an adhesive similar to the glue type adhesive that is used on the iPhone. I do appreciate the suggestion. Do you think non conductive electrical glue would work?

Akber Jesani,

I don't know that material so i can't comment. The glue shouldn't be ultrastrong, it only holds the glass in place and you want to be able to open it again.

remacberlin,

1

mrandres
13

I use oca which is great but you have to invest a lot of money on the equipment. But the results are very professional. Good luck loca won't work good.

0

Maddison
1

use an adhesive from an iphone 3g glass replacement, or any size for that matter, and use a razor blade, by measuring with your eyes, and estimating with your mind slice a few slits and space them accordingly. ah ha! adhesive doesn't have to look pretty by being "exact", its on the inside, and thats what counts.

I might have to side with Maddison. I just watched the video where the machinery basically plops a little drop of clear crap on the glass and presses the LCD on. They call it optical lamination or some such thing. I didn't realize this and bought the glass/digitizer and LCD separately so now I gotta figure out how to make them work together without this clear robot crap.

Frank,

0

Richard
1

Granted this is a 3ish year old thread, it still seems relevant

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-43432-...

Is this a sufficient product?? I have 3 cracked phones to repair as cost effectively as possible if I can, I may have to be the guinea pig here if no one else has tried this stuff. =]

-Yanek out

Richard, the glue to use would be a LOCA type. Loctite 3195 is a general-purpose adhesive that is used for just such applications. The other one is 3M Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive 2152A, only issue now is trying to find the stuff.

The glue is not needed just make sure you have the screws have the clips holding nice and tight on the display assembly.

con,

0

Chris C
1

Specific UV glue is used to attach screens to seperated LCD/Digitizers. You can find it at lower than ebay prices at http://www.phonepartsfs.com

0

Yareck
43

I just want to say it only looks easy on those videos. I fix phones for living and fixing just the glass on iPhone 5 everyday using only doublesided tape to attach lcd to the glass as well as Galaxy phones. It works good but doesn't look perfect. It takes skills and many tries to do it with LOCA. Just imagine if you put to much of that stuff. On Samsung it can spill on the camera proximity sensor or home button and if you gonna harden it with light it will mess up the whole phone. On iPhone there's number of things that can go wrong. Perfect positioning the glass on the LCD is crucial and the most annoying is that LOCA can easily spill between LCD layers ruining it for good. The last one my biggest struggle now. If anyone can tell me how to avoid it I would really appreciate.

@Yareck I know exactly what you mean, I fix plenty of Galaxy's and iPhones and repairing the glass on either with no optical adhesive kind of looks crappy compared to an optically bonded assembly. I've tried the LOCA liquid, trying to get the perfect amount and curing it perfectly is not easy to do without any information about it... then I tried the Optical Adhesive Film but do not have an Autoclave to remove the bubbles properly. There must be a way for normal repair shop guys to do a professional job on these common phones without lab-grade equipment! This is iFixit, if we can't figure it out here where else can we go?!

James,

@ James I have never heard of optical adhesive film as well as autoclave. Gonna google it.

Yareck,

Sorry for the typos.

Yareck,

0

Jamesfilms
1

I have a repair shop where I fix the iPhones and galaxy phones as well. I also do micro soldering as well. I have a machine that helps me seperate the glass and lcd on my broken screens. The hardest part is not getting loca glue to run in between the layers of the lcd. I have a mould that I place the iPhone 4/4s lcd in, then I place a small amount of loca adhesive in the center of the lcd, then gently lay the glass on it slowly so no bubbles form. If bubbles form I lift it up and pop them with tweezers or a toothpick, then try again. Once succesful I put under a uv lamp for about 15 min. I have a real problem with that glue slipping into the lcd. I am going to try and tape the edges of the lcd with kapton tape so any loca spillage falls away from the lcd and not in it. Then when it dries I just pull them off.

@Jamesfilms Don't even try to apply right amount of glue, it will always go between layers. Just try to gently separate backlight from LCD. You have to be very delicate with it so you won't brake the lcd. Then des older the backlight and lafter applying the glass and cleaning the mirror surface of the lcd solder the backlight back. It's nosy easy takes few times to master it but it's doable. 15 min is way to long. 45 seconds is enough. You don't want to harden LOCA to much. Just emagine if your customer comes back with the screen harden by you for 15 mins and you gonna won't to salvage(reuse) his LDC. Forget about it. Dave yourself and others unnecessary expense.

Yareck,

@ Yareck I was hoping to avoid removing the layers and desoldering first, but if thats the best way then thats what I gotta do.. Thanks for the info! Also, I tested the uv glue I had, and I put it under my UV light for 3 min and it was still liquid and runny. after 6 min it finally started to solidify. maybe my UV lamps are weak? Two 6 watt 10 inch uv tubes.

Jamesfilms,

0

Jonathan James
323

Here is a video that we did that showcases how to apply the LOCA glue. We have found it to be the best procedure and also know that all glues are not the same. When you find a good vendor stick with them. Some glue is not of quality and will begin to separate and re liquefy again even after the UV cure.

The youtube video link is below:

Galaxy S4 Liquid Optical Adhesive Applicaton Guide:

0

Dan Hudson
1

Use a small paint brush and a small amount of loca, paint a thin layer around the perimeter of the screen with the brush then cure it. It should then create a gasket around the edge to stop spillage when you put more loca on to set the screen in place.

0

Jeremy Jones
1

I'm having trouble getting my loca to stop separating several days after I cure. Looks perfect for a few days then begins to separate slowly

0

Axe Milaya
1

I started the same problem too. After several days, the LOCA starts to crack on the sides. It !@#$%^ me off. I have a feeling it might be the LOCA I'm using. Or it might be the amount of time I put it under UV Light. I normally put it for with 2 minutes timer ON then keep on doing it for a few times. The last one I tried to put it for 30 minutes to make sure it really dries well. then after an hour, I do another 5mins. Hopefully it doesn't come back. I bought another set of LOCA tube, it might be my loca itself that's crappy some made in china stuff, it sucks but everything is made there so we can't really make sure which brand is good.

0

mrandres
13

Hello everyone, I see you are having a hard time doing this. The reason is because loca is only use for samsungs not for iPhones. iPhone is done with a little more technology, thus using oca laminator stickers bond with precision machines. Also the frame has to be assamble by a frame assambler machine that uses pressure and heat. The process is faster and cost effective after you make the $20,000.00 dollar investment.

If questions, please write me to my email luisamdres0918@gmail.com I will explain how to do what you want to do. Remember loca has an expiration time frame of 6 months, so be careful, that may be why is cracking.

0

ifixthem
55

i am looking for a way to use oca without an autoclave.

i think oca is the best way to do it but i have not experience yet, and no money to buy an autoclave of course....today arrived my hot plate! :) i am just starting on this. i did my first i4 lcd separation today! :) (happy like a kid)

i have some ideas. my best friend does work with fiberglass on sail boats and uses some kind of vacuum bags + vacuum pump to take bubbles out. he is going to help me, next week/days ill tell all of you how the experiment is going.

Mrandes you are just great! i will probabably email you to ask you, thanks for your comment, very very helpfull for me. thanks man. i still have many questions like

how many degrees for heating the oca and preassure are needed?

is it heating the way to cure oca glue? or does it need uv light after?

will work with a proffesional vacuum pump?(only near 1atm presure, autoclave makes more yes?).

Can i use a vacuum pump and a special vacuum bag like my friend says,

staying inside the bag on the hot plate lets say at 75C. degrees? my friend says that the bag is heat resistant. that would do preassure and heat for oca working right? could it work?

that is what i am about to try this week end, using a broken lcd of course... :)

let see... im sure we can find a way to do it.. ;)

have fun!

0

mrandres
13

This post is going to be fun, because you will find a way to do it differently than oca method.

Are you ready? Ok. The first thing is to separate the glass, the temperature should be 98 to 102 degrees. So that the glue would be easy to be taken off the lcd. Once you separate the lcd do not use any cleaning liquid. I will give you the best trick of the trade for every lcd use a new blade they are so cheap you don't have to use one blade for 2 or 3 lcd's. becareful with the borders as you have a metal frame around the glass that if you break it that lcd is finish, damaged. once you do this then use a cloth and pure acetone to finish the cleaning process. If you get strick marks is because you still have glue adhesive on the lcd clean it until you see a clean lcd. After this, separate the back light with a soldering iron on top of the cable and separate it from the lcd slowly and complete. Put it in a bag then use loca uv light for 3 minutes you don't need more than this as when is dry is dry. After this, clean the back and cables of the overflow of the loca. Do the same process as when you where cleaning the lcd as is clean then solder the cable on top and attach the backlight back in place. Test it and you are done. Congratulations. You just finish a refurbish iPhone 4 lcd. The frames are sold with glue buy them as they are easier to install. Good luck any other question write me back.

thanks for your comment again mrandres. i have been bussy so i had no time for testing. i have seen an ebay seller who sells oca sheets that dont need auto clave. i have contact him and he says they are some similar to the screen protectors but two sides stiky. and no bubbles...may be its worth to try it? while that ill start doing the lcd and back light separation as you said. i have never done it before, i think is to avoid the back light getting durty with glue maybe? ill start searching how to do it. thanks again. ill be around to tell any new.

ifixthem,

p.s. backlight from lcd separation done. was easy :) thanks master.

ifixthem,

0

Jack Ong
1

HI friend,

i am from china, we are professional offer OCA tape for repair screen .

our company:[www.kawinoca.com| shenzhen kawin optical material co., ltd.]

if you have interesting, pls contact with me.

email : kawin-jack@hotmail.com

skype: jack198803

wahtsapp: +0086-15012683474

website: www.kawinoca.com

0

Jack Ong
1

kawin OCA TAPE. for repair screen. www.kawinoca.com

email: kawin-jack@hotmail.com

0

Don Kleppinger
1

What happens if you don't put enough LOCA glue and it doesn't make it all the way to the sides? Is the glue boundary noticeable and does it affect touch sensitivity?

This Month: 1,283