3

Deten
115

Earpiece speaker repair for iPhone 4

Dear all,

I got a broken iPhone form the store but don't have an ability to exchange it due to lack of apple service centres in my country.

The problem I have seems to be related with the earpiece of the phone as when I try to call anybody I only hear cracking noises out of it and it seems like the membrane of the speaker is broken.

I had looked at the guides and couldn't find one related to the earpiece exchange though I used the front facing panel removal guide to get to the speaker but at the end I don't understand whether I will be able to reattach the earpiece if I remove it.

Has anybody already replaced the earpiece? Maybe you have some advices or even photos to guide me?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by: Kyle Wiens ( ) , Deten ( )

no idea on the i4, but on the i3 the speaker membrane is glued onto the front panel and requires a heat gun to remove it, which was difficult to say the least, hope someone can help you.

James Stoy,

I hope so too! :) I found a picture of a replacement earpiece http://ionnoi.net/ionnoi_template/iPhone.... So you mean I would require a heat gun to remove the black border around it? Why can't I just rip it away and then wipe with alcohol to clean the place of the remaining glue?

Deten,

you could do yeah, bit barbaric though! :)

James Stoy,

4

Deten
115

Yes.

Basically the earpiece is not broken. Only the connection to the logic board is week. So what you need to do is follow the guide on disassembling the logic board and reach the earpiece. Once you are there try to bent the left contact a little upwards and to the right (my problem was related with the left one). You can look on the bottom side of your logic board to see witch contact of the earpiece doesn't touch the board by looking at the small scratches on the contacts of the main board.

Man, I had the same problem.... UK iPhone 4, earpiece broken, I live in Brazil.... Did you solve your problem?

Jean Paul Vieira,

It solved my problem! Tks Deten!

Jean Paul Vieira,

Thanks a lot! I have the same issue after I've drop iPhone just from 0,4m height. My ear speaker at fist made a cracking noises but after I knock it by my finger couple of times it was become silent. Today'll try fix it. Hope it's just contact issue for me. I live in Russia actually — no Apple Stores too. == Update == Yeahhh!!! It helps! I got my lovly iP4 back!!!! Thanks a lot for your description!

LexaCh,

1

Scott Head

For those of you who actually have a broken speaker, the speaker can be replaced. Basically you have to follow this guide until step 21. That will expose the speaker. The speaker is mounted on the induction cable which contains the power button and the 2nd microphone. You need not remove the entire cable. Using a heat gun, you can remove the speaker with a spudger or plastic opening tools. It won't take much heat to loosen the adhesive. You will need to clean off some of the residue left behind. After that just use a little bit of super glue to mount the new speaker on the cable and you are set. The speaker is only mounted on the cable. There are no connections that need to be made to the cable itself as the 2 gold "prongs" sticking up are the necessary means of connecting the speaker to the rest of the phone's circuitry.

I have to disagree with your guide. Typically the problem is not in the microphone itself but just in those gold "prongs". What I did is just made them touch the logic board better by bending them in the appropriate direction. So no heatgun, no plastic opening tools, just small screwdrivers was what I needed and used.

Deten,

I only posted this for those who wanted to replace the speaker if it is indeed broken. It's only if someone get's to this question wanting to replace the speaker. In your case, you didn't need to but maybe someday, someone WILL need to replace it altogether for some reason.

Scott Head,

1

info
13

Here is the photo of the small prongs on the earpiece. I never saw them the first time, since they are pretty small. I lifted them up a little and they made

contact. Phone earpiece worked again.

http://www.chzphoto.com/earpiece.jpg

0

Nick

Bring it to that apple store you bought it from and have it swapped

They will send the bad one to a service center and refurb it

I wish it was that easy! A friend of mine bought it for me in UK and brought it back here, so this is basically impossible.

Deten,

0

Vikramaditya Singh
1

I hope this works for me...i really hope. Just received my iphone 4 from UK and can't hear anything through the earpiece. Is there a photo step by step guide to solve it or should i get it done from a mechanic. Please help and let me know guys

Vikramaditya Singh — don't be afraid! Just take a small (#00) screwdrivers and go to work with your iP4. It's really easy! And don't forget to clean by alcohol wi-fi metal contacts (it's remarked at Guide). Good luck!

LexaCh,

0

rachel hutchinson
1

My iphone 4 went through a 1 hour 45 minute hot wash and I thought that would be byebye. After drying out all works fantastic except the earpiece / mic during phone calls, and voice memos. The top left corner on the back next to the camera took a knock - the glass is cracked - and I can't hear the caller and they can't hear me unless I put the loudspeaker on or use headphones, so I am guessing its a new speaker needed. I followed the 'Installing Front Camera' Guide to step 21 (thanks Scott!) and exposed the speaker but I was still confused what to do next. I am assuming the speaker is the lozenge shaped component directly on top of the front grill? I adjusted the gold prongs for better contact but no go. Can I loosen the adhesive from the back? Do I need to remove the middle plate or the front? Also, do I need to replace the in conversation mic too, and where is it?

Any more help on this would be fab as I am so close now, and determined to beat this problem. I just love how these things are so well built that can even have a hope here. Thanks for any advice.

I have the same problem!!!

macpatagon,