1

Hiroki Kashiwazaki
13

Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure can't be recognized?

I brought 9.5 mm SATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure and equiped SSD (crucial Real SSD C300). Then I attached the enclosure unit in place of Optical drive, but MacBook can't recognize this SSD drive. I was pushing "Option" key in booting, no drive icon appeared.

Although I equiped SATA HDD (Segate 320GB HDD) to enclosure unit and attached it, MacBook can recoqnize this HDD.

I tried two SSDs, but neither can't be recognized by MacBook. I also tried to attach these SSD to 2.5 HDD connector (next to battery), then MacBook recognized this SSD.

What should I do ?

Edited by: machead3 ( )

2

Nick

You need to format the drives for use

to do this, boot into your master that works

go to utilities in applacations

find disk utility

find the drive that needs formatting(one that dosent work)

find erase in disk utility

format it to MACOS extended(journaled)

+ Good answer explaining what to do, and the steps required to do it.

Taylor Arnicar,

In "disk utility", the drive which doesn't work isn't appear in the disk list when this drive is connected to the connector which was used by optical bay. But I connect this drive to 2.5 HDD connector (next to battery), this drive appears in the disk list of "disk utility".

Hiroki Kashiwazaki,

then take it out and format it in that or the connector and HDD may be loose

Nick,

If the disk utility finds the drive in the enclosure use your install disk to format it and then try again in the optical bay.

rj713,

0

Paul
1

I have the same problem - neither the SSD or a 7200 RPM 3.0Gbps HDD will work on the optical SATA port, but work fine on the regular slot.

Oddly Apple aren't that interested in helping :-)

The reason is apple leaves this stuff to you unless they do it

Nick,

Contact ifixt sales directly

machead3,

0

CMT
1

Similar problem here. I can hear the hard disk spinning, but the enclosure doesn't even show up in System Profiler. Any solutions?

contact ifxit directly

machead3,