2

jethrogump
47

Can't see HDD from

bought 4 PB G4 15's @ surplus auction, one a 1.67 with no power ; thanks to university requirement, none had hdd's.

Starting a teardown to see if a cannibalized DC board was the answer, discovered the keyboard/power switch cable disconnected...while here, new hdd time, but the only one available is an XP drive from a Dell...no prob, sez I, I'll let the OS 10.4 Disk Utility re partition and format. Of course, not to be, as the DU doesn't see the hdd, nor does the Installer.

If this was a PC, I could always run a Kill Disk as a last resort should quicker methods fail.

So I ask, is there a method I could employ that will save having to open this up, pull the drive and use a PC to bring this drive into a recognizable state to load 10.4?

Thanks,

JethroGump

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , iRobot ( )

great question. +

Majesty,

Have you tested the drive in a Windows or other machine since you've had this issue? I have no problems getting Disk Utility to partition/format drives with Windows master boot records, or who knows what kind of random formatting.

Eric Essen,

2

Majesty

Jethro, like Jared suggested, make sure your HDD ribbon cable is in good shape. Then, Make sure the drive is recognized in a Windows environment. If al else fails, you might have to reformat the drive with Drive Genius 3 or other software besides Disk Utility. Try a PRAM reset as well, before you try anything else.

Edited by: Majesty ( )

0

kkirch417
55

I doubt this would be any faster if you haven't taken the book apart already and swapped drives. So you could make a bootable flash drive with like Ubuntu Linux format it in FAT instead of NTSF and then it might be recognized. Hold down the "Option" key on your MacBook and you will get little icons of the drives you can boot from. You would just select the USB drive you want to boot from and you're good to go. Most of the info is second hand hope it helps/works.

Good Luck!

0

jaredkoreski
91

You might check the HDD cabling to look for anything out of the ordinary. I once put a new disc drive into an iBook G4 14" only to find (after it was put back together) that it wasn't the drive, it was the drive ribbon (it appeared that a small screw had slightly punctured the ribbon.) I replaced this for about 12 bucks. I hope kkirch's comments did the trick for your sake :-)