0

Don
1

Why is shift from 1 - 2 so hard

This question is archived. No new answers are allowed, and only the question's owner may edit it.

1985 GMC Jimmy - Does not shift well from 1st to second. Once warmed up, if I accelerate slow it will sometimes shift on it's own, but otherwise I have to take my foot off the accelerator at about 20 - 25 MPH to get a smooth shift.

Archived as not answerable by oldturkey03

By any chance, is it easy to shift from 1st into 4th? C4 Corvettes (1984-1996) with manual transmissions had some years where the transmission intentionally shifted from 1st to 4th more easily than 1st to 2nd in an attempt to increase fuel economy. I have no idea if it's the same transmission as yours (pretty off-chance, I'm sure). Have you tried shifting sooner to see if that helps? 25 mph in my 2006 car is a 4th gear cruising speed. I really only use 1st gear to get going from a stop.

David Hodson,

0

Steve
13

Dose it shift hard all the time or just some of the time ? if it is what i think it is you will need to have the valve seals in the trans replaced .AKA ( Overhall) When thay get some miles on them (100.000) or so the seals get hard and the trans has to build up more pressure then normal to push the vales that make the trans shift , and some times this caulas a delay in shift responce so it shifts hard . if you dont have the money go to your local Autoparts store and get or ask for some trans Fix and put it in it will sofen the seals so it will shift easer and not so hard . Hope this Helps .

0

linda hayes
1

bolts under dashboard on mine were loose