0

pragathi
1

How to fix lens error,restart camera

my cam lend is displaced from the actual position.how to fix it

Edited by: oldturkey03, rj713, and machead3 ( )

9

markus weiher
29k

we had this question in the past for a few powershot models

i quote an old answer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

there are many ways to get it work again (at least to try to)

the best way is this:

Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was dropped while the lens was extended. Simply - VERY GENTLY - press down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a “click” as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera back on.

i've found it on the net, here is the original text - if that won't help - go to the source page and read about the other options

it's for a different model, but they have normally the same problems

good luck

+ works for me

mayer,

This Worked Fine for me "markus weiher" . Thank you for your Help :)

Shahed Vafaee,

It worked! I jiggled and pushed the lense housing and smacked the camera lightly on the tile floor and it now works!!! I had a powershot do the same thing to me 2 years ago, so I got that out and tried the process out on that one too, but it didn't work on the 2nd camera. The only difference between the issues of both cameras is that with the older camera, I DID accidentally bang it on something at the zoo while the lense was open. The camera that your advice worked on was never banged against anything. I took a pic of the dog and put the camera back into the bag 2 days ago. It was fine. What did happen with the newer one is that, coincidentally (or not?), the sd card is now corrupted. Did the SD card break the camera or vise/versa? I can't get my son's kodak, the (fixed) canon, or any of my 3 computers to detect the SD card which also worked fine 2 days ago.

cat,

Thank you so much, I was getting worried it was broken forever. It worked really well for me.

Andrea,

Thank you!!! I thought my camera was done for and literally followed these instructions exactly and it was fixed in under 10 seconds!!!!!!!!!

Melanie Freeman,

3

Di Ann
37

I used my Dyson vacuum cleaner to suck the lens while I booted it. Lens popped right out (instead of beeping and saying "lens error") and functioned as normal. Worked a charm!!

1

kip
13

I just used a very very thin (almost paper thin) rewards card (anna's linens) and gently circled the the outer layer (removing grime) and it popped out! fixed! yay!

0

Camera Repair
301

Lens errors are fairly common. Usually it's sand or grit interfering with the lens extension mechanism. Or the camera's been dropped with the lens extended. Or the camera has been powered on, but the lens had been blocked preventing its extension. Or the battery ran down with the lens extended ...

Unfortunately, many cameras that fall prey to this can only be corrected by professional repair. But, here are some things that you can do that may correct it, without even opening the camera. They only seem to work for less than 40% of the lens errors, but if the camera is out of warranty, they're worth a try.

0

paul tierney
1

It may be possible to insert a feeler gauge or better yet crisp flexible plastic in around the three parts of the lens barrel. Maybe that will let you get under whatever gigantic clod of grit is wedging the lens tight. The smallest, inner ring(for the part of the lens that extends out the farthest from the body) is only 8-10mm deep and the next two are deeper.

After trying that sort of thing, as well as general beating and assorted ways of turning on multiple buttons etc our SD850IS still wouldn't open. We pulled the outer ring off by slipping a feeler gauge in and around it to release the adhesive. Twisting the next 'cap-ring' (round with the semi rectangular opening in the center) counterclockwise released it and exposed the two lens covering flaps. I took one flap out to have an intact one left to compare too. While I did take them out, what worked was prying the lens out by one of the little bosses, the nub, that held the cap-ring in. It responded to a moderate pull.

Maybe the speck I saw on the barrel was the culprit. In any case I wiped it clean and reinstalled the battery. It has now cycled properly with the battery reinstalled and is working again.

p.s. the springs on this model are different than what I saw on the article about the A1000. The spring wraps around the pivot post. Before pushing the flap all the way down on the pivot post you will want to catch one end of the spring arm on the post that drives the flaps to open and close. You may hold the end of the spring with a toothpickk to hook it over the post or you may catch the post by twisting the flap a millimeter extra before pushing it all the way down on the pivot post.

0

ssimpson
1

Well, I was really upset when my beloved Canon PS SX10IS gave me a 'Lens Error, Restart Camera' message. Then it shut off, and I couldn't even access the 'review' feature to see the photos I had just taken! I replaced the batteries, but that didn't fix it. In looking at the lens carefully as it was trying to open, I noticed some white caulky-like material peeking out from under the outer lens ring. In fiddling with it, the outer ring came off. I could see that the caulk was like a glue, holding that plastic ring in place. The camera worked fine w/o the ring, opening, focusing, and shooting. The outer plastic ring was only acting as a protection for the camera's 'insides' when it was fully extended in zoom position. Knowing how much the fix is, I decided to try to fix it myself. I removed the caulk that seemed to be in excess, left what I could and snapped the ring back in place, paying attention to fit the appropriate parts together. It's now firmly in place and the camera works again perfectly. The lens extenstion/zoom was catching on the loose caulk.

I tend to carry the camera by the lens. Am sure that this is what caused it to loosen from the caulk.

Good Luck!

0

Vivian
1

Thank you very much for posting these helping information. It worked for my Canon S90 camera. I don't get the error message anymore by following your instruction. Thank you so much. I was worried that I had to buy a new camera for like $400.00 at least. Thanks again.

0

Paul Rudd
1

In my case, having a camera case actually caused the problem. Originally, I went to the beach and I think some sand got caught in the case and then in the camera. I remember the day after going to the beach, when I turned on the camera it made a 'grainy' sound when opening. I was a bit worried but thought nothing of it.

A few days later, I grabbed the case and accidentally somehow caused the camera to turn on. As it did, the lens jammed into the case and created the lens error.

I tried trying to fix it manually (pressing the lens back in because it was only out a few millimeters) and this did nothing.

I went online and found the advice about tilting one side. I looked and noticed a slight discrepancy in the spacing around (more on the bottom). I pushed gently on the top as I turned it on. The same error message came on but now the camera lens moved out slightly more. I restarted and started a few more times and now it works fine. Its still making that 'grainy' noise so I'll continue to blow on it and try to remove those sand particles as such. The comments on here helped me out. Thanks a lot!

Generally I think Canon cameras are good. I think this is a problem with lots of digitals.

I'm going to clean out the inside of the case and be way more careful if I ever bring a camera to the beach again (more protected in a ziploc bag than in a case).

Thanks again!!

-Toby

0

Ron Ramos
1

it worked. i pressed lightly but no click. thanks!

0

Cynthia Graves
1

you saved my life - thanks!

0

Ganguy
1

Markus:

i dropped my Powershot 2500 (brand new) with the lens extended and it was bent horribly to one side. I had to use a disposable for the rest of my trip because we were remote. As a last resort I tried your fix and VOILA! it works perfectly! Many thanks, great advice.

Ganguy

0

Barb
1

None of this worked for mine

0

annis mm
1

thank you very much......

it work in my camera...

0

ines hildahl
1

yay the credit card thingy worked , ran it around the edge of the lens...works fine now :) thank you

0

sammy
1

I took a piece of envelope and ran it around the lens rings and now it works fine.

Canon 1400 is.

0

Emi Gospodinova
1

Thank you very much! Your advise is very useful :)

0

hotpinkcola
1

Thank you so much! Your advice worked on my canon elph 300hs. I dropped it while the lense was extended, i got a lens error and cam automatically shuts off. Followed your fix.. now its working again. Thanks again.

0

JannaJJ
1

It worked great!! Thanks so much!! I was so afraid I was going to have to take it in to the shop. Thanks again!!

0

Bill Kristof
1

I have a Canon G10 which has served me very well. I had the lens extended and the battery ran down leaving the lens in an open position.

I tried all the fixes and held my camera upside down while I ran a semi rigid thin plastic around the telescope tubes. I moved the tubes gently but they were already central. i did this several times but unfortunately none of the fixes seemed to work in my case. if anyone has any other suggestions they would be more than welcome.

This Week: 1,317

This Month: 3,102