1

Kevin Tran
13

iPod Touch recovery mode & USB Device Not Recognized

Hello.

I have a 1st generation iPod Touch 8 GB which is not recognized by the computer and is in recovery mode.

I have tried lots of things to recover it - I tried installing LibUSB, DFU, different computers, and different cables. They all end up the same way - Windows says "USB Device Not Recognized."

I tested it in Ubuntu 10.04 - it said something along the lines of "device descriptor read/64, error -64" in dmesg. lsusb shows nothing about the iPod.

In Device Manager, the iPod, labeled "Unknown Device", has error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

All help is appreciated.

I am having the exact same problem as Kevin except iTunes won't even recognize it when I put it into DFU mode. I also get the same error message as him in device manager. I was just wondering if the problem had been solved and if not then any suggestions?

Mike,

adil,

1

Devin Walker
13

While plugged into your computer and with iTunes open, hold the power button for 2 seconds then press the home button while holding the power button for 10 more seconds. Your computer should make the sound that a USB Device has been unplugged, then keep holding the home button until you hear the sound your computer makes when you plug a device in. iTunes should say that it found an iPod i restore mode, cancel everything else and unplug it. Restore the iPod on another computer because it seems that the iTunes is the culprit.

Good Luck, it worked for me! unfortunately i sent 3 ipods back to apple before i realized my computer was doing this....

0

osvaldo

update itunes, get itunes 9 and update the driver in windows, go to device manager.

I'm already at the latest version of iTunes: 9.2. When trying to update the driver, Windows insists that the driver is at the latest version. Trying to replace the driver with "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" makes Windows say "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", as it does with other drivers.

Kevin Tran,