1

Chuck
13

Why does screen flicker on then go black?

On my Macbook Pro A1150, screen suddenly went blank / black. Power off and on, and the screen flickers on, then goes blank. Otherwise, powers up successfully. What do I need to replace or fix? How?

OK, it took me six days to find an external monitor. I had tried on my flat-panel TV, but received error, "invalid format." Now, on an old flat-panel Dell monitor, two part answer, but bottom line is, external screen SEEMS TO WORK. However, in Mac mode, comes up obviously in wrong video mode and no way (none apparent to me) to adjust that. In Windows mode (Boot Camp), Windows XP comes up can read screen fine, then switches and error says "cannot read this mode" (paraphrase, forget the quote).

So, two questions now. 1) Must be my problem is NOT the logic board, so is it more likely the Mac laptop screen, or that "converter" card? 2) Maybe I just use an external monitor, but how do I change video modes when can't get it to come all the way up to place where can change? Thanks for advice.

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , Chuck ( )

4

mayer

First hook it up to an external monitor to isolate the problem. Please tell us what happens. If it works then we can look at the display data cable, the inverter board and lastly the LCD.

+ Good preliminary troubleshooting steps

Taylor Arnicar,

+ Ralph

rj713,

Your update is hard for me to understand, I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "mode" thing. What is important is that you got a picture. This narrows the problem down to one, or a combination of three things: the Display Data Cable, the inverter board or the LCD. In order of cost, I would go for the cable first,then the inverter and then the LCD.

mayer,

my vaiohad screen issues when i was was watching califorina gurls because th candycanes were jumping would sony fix it for free it has a bad nvidia gpu unlike HP with the DV series?

Nick,

0

Nick

follow Mayers advice and call apple at 1800-4-myapple to see if you are elijeble for the Nvidia repair extension for free

p.s.

Tell the rep my laptop is having aliterations and that itmight have a bad nvidia card

they will get your serial# aznd say if you are elijable for free and if you previsoly paid, you may be elijable for reimbursment

and BE FIRM

DONT LET THEM SAY YOURE WRONG but i doubt theyll say that its a bad GPU

Edited by: Nick ( )

i gave you credit foryour tips causeiknew you might vote it down

Nick,