0

Mikel
7

copying old hard drive onto new

Installing new hard drive into MacBook Pro 15". I was told to copy the old hard drive first, then take it out and install the new one.Then after verifying all is okay, erase the old hard drive, put it in the new enclosure and use it as an external drive.

I hooked it up and the Mac said not supported and am in neutral now till I find the next step.

Edited by: machead3 ( )

When u say "hooked it up", do u mean you installed the new drive? Did u clone the old drive into the new one before you installed?

Majesty,

Please clarify what you hooked up and how, what you intend to do is well stated, but what you are doing is not.

machead3,

Thanks for responses. I had forgotten I was told about Super Duper and Carbon Copy Clone. I searched and downloaded CCC, and current status is looking good, with 155G copied via Firewire 800 to the new device(Hitachi 500G,7200rpm)so far. Question is, and I thank you Mayer for stating it, but I'm not sure what you meant about booting it externally. Could you put that a little further in layman's terms for me? Once this thing is thru, unless it directs me what to do, I'll be honest, I'm clueless.

Mikel,

1

mayer

After putting the new hard drive in the external enclosure, go to Application -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and Format the Drive Mac OS Extended. Then use something like SuperDuper to clone the drive.: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/S...

Next if the drive is a firewire drive, boot from it externally. If a USB, then you'll have to install it to test.

The new hard will boot from an external Firewire drive but not a USB drive. Booting from the external simply lets you know the copy is good.

mayer,