MacBook Pro will not boot up
I have MacBook Pro, 2.4 2gb ram and bootcamp is not installed. I put it to sleep last night having been listening to some tunes on itunes.
Today when I tried to start the MacBook Pro this is what happened.
1) the light on the front of the MacBook Pro glows faintly (constant)
2) the fan spins
The MacBook Pro does not get past these 2 stages, it does not start up, the screen stays black, the keyboard does not respond, however the processors do get warm when it is left in this state for a period of 5 minutes or more.
I have tried the follwing,
1) held down the power button until it beeps - it didn't beep
2) reset the pram - nothing happened
3) tried starting in safe mode - nothing happened
4) tried holding down the mouse button upon starting - nothing happened
5) held down cmd option and the other one before starting - nothing
6) Change the rams places
It seems like the keyboard is not responsive, the caps lock and num lock lights are not working. No power is coming out of the usb ports, when I try to start the mbp I plugged my iPod in and it didn't charge.
I just tested on my a1226 MacBook Pro. There isn't any power to the USB and keyboard (at least the caps lock light) before the grey apple is on the screen. So that probably explains the missing light and no response from the iPod.
Have you tried booting your machine from the install DVD?
You do that by insterting the install DVD and holding down the C butting while booting.
While in the boot DVD check that your HDD shows.
If it do, run the apple hardware tool in the DVD.
Do you hear the apple chime when you power on the MacBook Pro? Does it go the white screen and THEN go black? Anyways, try resetting your smc, this is your system management controller.
Here's how you do it.
1) shut down the computer completely by holding down the power button for at least 10 seconds. You *should* hear a beep, and the hard drive spin down, but don't worry if you don't.
2) unplug the power cable
3) take the battery out of the computer
4) hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds
5) put the battery back in
6) plug the power adapter back into the computer
7) turn the computer on
Let us know if this works.