How do I open up a Mighty Mouse?
How do I open up a Mighty Mouse? I got one that can only scroll in one direction.
I've just took one apart.
It seems easier than the old Apple pro mouse.
Scrolling works perfectly after clearing out all the dirt around the rollers.
Didn't try the upside down cloth method, as I was looking for a excuse to see the guts of the mighty mouse.
Actually, a Mighty Mouse can get more gunked up than the turn-it-upside-down-and-roll-it technique can fix. I've taken two apart and found the little plastic rollers, that the pea abuts, get fuzz and stuff wound around them just like the good old roller-ball mice used to.
Here's a pretty good YouTube video with instructions:
I reassembled the mice, using little dabs of glue, but didn't bother reinstalling the plastic ring; hopefully that'll make it easier to take them apart the next time.
I've had very good luck using a high-nap towel or microfiber cloth and a little cleaning solution to fix this issue:
1. Dampen one section of the towel or cloth with some iKlear, windex, or water. You want a slightly damp area and a dry area.
2. place the towel on a hard level surface, turn the mouse upside down and roll the scroll ball vigorously in all directions for several minutes, alternating between the damp and dry areas.
3. Test for restored function, repeat as necessary.
BTW: I've taken a few completely failed mighty mice apart, but the newer ones have plastic weld tabs on the bottom ring, making it almost impossible to reassemble the device in a working manner - the ring is the gliding contact point for the bottom of the mouse, so it has to be level and firmly attached.
nice job, I know you have fixed it, but next time try this:
1. get a thick WHITE paper, thickest you can find
2. put the paper somewhere stable
3. put the scroll ball (gray ball) on it (holding the mouse opposite-down)
4. move it around with pressure in different direction for a minute.
if you clean it on the white paper you have a good result the first time but you will damage it doing it several times... my old mighty mouse doesn't work because the scrolling ball has damaged a little piece of plastic inside the mouse.
my second mouse works perfectly since 2008 because every 5/6 months i open it and clean the internal parts just with my fingers, without alcohol or other stuffs... every time i need to break the lower side with a cutter but i always fix it with glue when i finish to clean...