0

Danny Arenales
71

Machine won't power on.

I have an HP DV6000, and the thing wont power on. I have had it for over a year, and my warranty is up. I press the power button, and the Power and HDD Indicators and touch controls turn on for about a second, and then turn back off. I have tried this with and without the power adapter. When i plug in the power adapter, the machineindicates that the battery is charging (it indicates through the charging indicator light (Looks like a Lightning Bolt).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by: David Hodson ( )

2

markus weiher
29k

since there were many problems with that particular series - i would first check this page (click)

maybe your model is covered by the extended warranty ba hp.

to make it short - many hp models died from defective capacitors.

i had the same problem with my hp g6060eg - but since we have a 2 year warranty - the motherboard was replaced by hp.

I had a DV fail and never honored my warranty!!! THE G60 WAS FREE

Nick,

Good answer +

rj713,

2

Reg Robson
25

When my Hp dv6700 didn't turn on I put in a Ubuntu boot disk and it worked. So I switched operating systems (from Windows) and now my laptop works again. Granted I lost all my data on the hard drive, but at least I had a computer that works.

1

Negrill Desouza
25

Your problem could be a bad motherboard or CPU.

0

Laptop Repair Guy
325

Are you asking about HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook?

1. Could be memory failure. Try removing memory one by one.

2. If it's not bad memory, most likely this is known GPU failure.

You can try fixing (temporarily) the GPU problem using this trick:

How to fix video problem on HP laptops

0

Old question and not sure if it is even still an issue for the original poster. I just researched the dv6000 and was amazed in how many people have issues with it. The problem is is the motherboard, and the symptoms include loss of bootup, VERY slow bootup, WiFi stops working, etc. is simply that the MOBO board overheats and fries the video driver chip. The cooling design of this PC is inadequate. Short of replacing the motherboard I do not believe that there is much that you can do. I posted instructions how to reflow the board here http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/33368... Even if you get a new MOBO you might have the problems agai for as long as it has the NVidia chip. It is my understanding that there are now revised board out that have the ATI chip and do not have those issues. Good Luck

0

Georgi
1

I had the same problem.. when i try to power it up, just lights come for 1 sec and then turn off again. Strange but i removed the wi-fi card and turned on the laptop and now it works just fine. Then put back the wi-fi card and still working fine.