0

Adam
1

How do I fix a dead strip at the bottom of the screen?

My iPhone 3G had a cracked front panel as a result of a drop on concrete. The LCD was fine and touch sensitivity seemed unaffected. I used the phone normally, but it was difficult to see some parts because of the cracks.

I ordered and used the front panel repair kit supplied on this website. It was actually a bit easier than the Techspank video on YouTube. Everything seemed to be working for at least a few hours, or at least I thought so. I did not specifically test all areas of the screen for touch sensitivity.

The next morning, my phone was on the lock screen, but I could not slide to unlock it. I have since tried all of Apple's recommendations: hard resets, restores, etc. but nothing has worked. I've even put it in DFU mode, re-jailbroken it, etc.

It does not seem to be a software issue. I must have somehow damaged something during the repair.

My Questions:

(1) If there is a dead strip, is the problem the front panel assembly or is it the LCD screen? I would think it was with the front panel assembly that the glass attaches to, correct?

(2) Has anyone successfully fixed a dead strip problem with replacement parts? What parts did you order?

Note: My iPhone 3G is out of warranty and I assume Apple will not repair or replace it if they look for evidence of me opening the case or replacing parts.

Edited by: Kyle Wiens ( ) , Adam ( )

1

David Iwanicki

the glass front panel contains the digitizer, so the LCD can be ruled out. Double check the 3 cables from the front panel assembly to the logic board are firmly connected.

If you still cannot resolve it on your own, Apple will probably still perform service on the unit, since it is already out of warranty, your opening the unit is no different to them than if it was out of warranty due to age.