1

aamdayspa
13

Black screen on startup for iMac g5 17inch

My iMac g5 17 inch turns on you can hear chime and fans start blowing screen stays black. All 3 LED lights are on but nothing on screen

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , machead3 ( ) , Sterling Hirsh ( )

can we have a pic of the back open?

Nick,

3

rdklinc

I've had iMac G5s "snap out" of this mode (albeit sometimes only temporarily) when I reset the PMU/PRAM.

Also, sometimes the capacitors aren't specifically "bulging" at the waist, so to speak, but sometimes in the early stages the tops of the capacitors get a little pointy, if that makes any sense, when they are starting to bulge. The tops should be completely flat, so if they are starting to open up at the top, like a flower just beginning to bloom, that is also a sign of the flaw.

3

Josh Calvetti

I'm willing to bet you've got the leaky capacitors- pop off the back and take a look. Are there any cylinders that look kind of bulgy at the top? Do any of them have some kind of brownish orange goop on them?

1

Nick

its MOST LIKLEY to lie within the capacitors.

These meacines were always having this happen

Dont blame apple! There was a bad stream of capacitors at the time this was released

now that you think about it, the meachine may cost more to fix then its avctully worth so IF YOU WANT TO sell it for parts on ebay or something, then get a new imac, go for it

Edited by: Nick ( )

1

abc
13

I've had the same problem several times on my G5 iMac with iSight... on start-up it gets a black screen with a loud fan sound and won't do anything else. The problem seems to occur when it doesn't eject a CD before shut-down (power outage, pulled plug, etc.)

Here's the solution that has worked for me. Unplug all devices (USB drive, printer, etc.) except the keyboard... then reboot with the mouse button held down. The CD will eject and you get a clean boot.

Not sure why this occurs, but it seems that the computer gets stuck trying to boot from the CD and this clears the problem.

Hope that helps!

1

Tom Minch
13

Try starting it in single mode first....option-command-s on startup , and when the scripts stop rolling on the screen, type "reboot".

helped me out +

Nick,

1

Jeff Baird
25

I have a first version 1.8 20inch imac, which had black screen and wouldn't work an external monitor iether. everything else appeared to work and I could read the hard drive when hooked up to my powerbook in Target mode. Checked the capicitors and nothing obvious blown. Checking closely one of the capicitors near the screen output cable (there are 2 sitting together on the logic board here) had a very slight bulge in it. I changed it and voila! screen back and a happy mac user again!

Cheers Jeff

PS - cost of capicitor £0.40 and just my time and plenty of guidance on ifixit!

0

Darko Knutti
1

same problem. iMac G5 250GB 2GB RAM Tiger. Got stuck on grey screen starting up, fan spinning at top speed. Forced shut down/restart. Starts up, chime and then google notifier sounds there. Time machine backed up. So system running. But I have a black screen now. Tried hooking up external screen, and resetting PRAM. No success. Any ideas? I'll check capacitors if you think this is a possible problem.

Cheers,

Darko

0

Darko Knutti
1

Thanks for your reply.

I popped off the back. all capacitors look fine in my opinion. No sign of bulging or goop. Actually, maybe I have a good batch of capacitors, because the logic board was replaced in 2006 after I had a random shut-off problem.

My status now: After I reset PRAM (control/option/P/R) and SMU (o/n unplugged) the screen came back to life. But the system got stuck during startup. After I forced shutdown/restarted the OS came up and running, but now I have no video. Unfortunately I could not repeat this effect.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try? I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers, Darko

0

Ryan Downer
1

I know this is very old, but I was recently given this iMac from a friend and I can see that Capacitors C5008 and C5009 have gone bad and most likely that is what will happen to most of the iMacs that are like this.