2

Eggy
47

After glass replacement touch screen does not work.

Everything went as smooth as possible during the glass replacement.Everything except the touch screen works. What to check for next?

My question " after glass replacement, touch screen doesn't work" was not resolved until today. I've tried two other glass/digitizer replacements and both failed to yield any results. The third one works! Hurray! I spent more for the third one because the ad confirmed the original part # 821-0627-a. I bought three glass replacements from 3 different sellers, thinking that They were defective aftermarket parts. At the same time thinking that I destroyed the ipod by attempting this project. In the many attempts to get the first two to work,including plugging and unplugging, the ribbons acquired a very small tear. It would be tough to get my money back now that the ribbons are torn, even though they didn't work in the first place.

The only thing I did differently between the second and third glass was to plug in the headphones. Don't ask me what made me do that, but if it turns out that's what will affect yours, I need to know.

Hope this helps, I've been obsessed for several weeks with this issue.

i am having the same issue. i have replaced the screen with the exact same model # as the original. i have tried all the reboots, restore, headphone tricks listed and still not touch. i put the old cracked screen back on (which did work) and that one does not work either. any help would be greatly apretiated. i am guessing something else may be wrong with the phone now.

Edited by: billy ( ) , Eggy ( )

Thanks for the follow-up! Letting the repair world know how it ended is extremely helpful :)

Ben Eisenman,

5

Ben Eisenman

Hello!

The first course of action is to double-check the connections.

Having that said, why did you replace the glass? Did your touch screen work before you replaced the front panel?

I ask because it's possible that the front panel was not the actual culprit of the problem. If this was the original problem and the replacement with double-checked connectors does not fix the problem, all signs point to logic board.

Thanks for the response. The glass was cracked and the replacement was a snap. I must have plugged the component in 6 or more times while checking other things out thinking that may have been the problem. The ribbon seems fine and the screen worked prior to replacement. Do you think that I have to snap it together completely to get a response from the glass? I watched a video on youtube where the fellow just laid the screen onto the unit in place to check the digitizer operation and it worked. That is also what I'm doing.

Eggy,

2

billy
25

This is my third digitizer and it still doesnt work. the button works and if I try to reset by pressing home key with power key, the only thing that works is the cancel button, nothing else works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

It is fixed!! Replaced my non-working one with one in the above link, wa-la, working. The connecting of the ribbon was easier with this one, I actually felt it click into place. I wish I would have found this fix three weeks ago, I wouldn't have purchased a new IPOD touch 4, but oh well, I have two. To all that inputted to help me fix mine, thanks a bunch.

Billy

Edited by: billy ( )

i used three that I purchased from amazon, i dont know the exact part number. I also tried the head phone trick and nothing else. All I know is that the only place on the screen that works is the cancel button after I hold down the power and home key. the first screen i put on, i tore off the cable, the second screen, i cracked in the corner, so I figured it caused it not to work, while replacing the last two screens I cracked the LCD so had to do the LCD swap also. I am tempting to just throw it away, but seems like a waist. Still pondering.

billy,

1

ranjaykumar
13

My touch screen is not responding after the replacing the front panel and the battery (3G), it appears active and responding to the home button but not reacting to the fingers for typing or anything, please suggest.

Did you look at the history on my replacement story and how I had resolved my problem? The only other thing that I didn't cover is the reset of the ipod to it's original state and/ or upgrade the software if necessary. I had done that earlier on in the repair, but it didn't help and would be a last resort.

Eggy,

0

barlowdo
279

I am working on mine and the touch screen is completely loose from the case. All that is connecting it is the ribbon plug. I can still use the lock slide and all other touch functions. The only thing that does not work with it loose like this is the home button.

Interesting about the two bad touch screens as I am trying to narrow down why my home button clicks perfectly when touch screen is loose but when it is snapped in the Home button sticks. I am wondering it the replacement touch screen bezel is slightly thicker causing my home button to stick.

The bad thing about that scenario is that you have to detach the glass again to try to remedy. Every time that you do this, more damage to parts will occur. The home button is touchy to get and keep seated in the correct position until you apply the bezel. There may be some misaligned adhesive in the flange recesses or the bezel may be misaligned when applied. The bezel that I received didn't come with what I call a cricket or the metal home button support/return. Of course, the bezel could be thicker, because in the replacement part world, anything can be possible. I'm wondering, why the two bad touch screens?

Eggy,

0

Osvaldo Cantu
1

Where i find the original part # 821-0627-a i need that part

Ok thank you i found the link, and other question, how do i know if my mainboard-logic board is working bad? Today my ipod touch 2g 16gb have a nice lcd screen image, if i click twice the home button the player apear on screen, and i can sync on itunes, all ok only the touch not works. im already change the screen with one of ebay and not works. best regards, sorry for my bad english.

Osvaldo Cantu,

I purchased from HYRATECH.COM Just do a search on the web, it should come up.

Eggy,

(EDITED) I already have in my hands the new screen from hyratech, and they send me a other part number: #821-0627-03, this part number NOT works on my ipod. I really need the #821-0627-A. ------- ------- i bought two touchs on ebay and send me the #821-0627-04 , i already bought one more from hyratech (# 821-0627-a) and i wait the arriving of my item to check if that is the real one.

Osvaldo Cantu,

0

Eggy
47

Please do me a favor...... try plugging in the headphones. If that does help, I need to know. Seems as though more than a few people are having the problems that I've encountered.

Thanks.

0

mitch
1

i had this same problem, thought it was the digitizer but it ended up just needing to be rebooted.

Mitch, I have tried the reboot, restore, earphone trick, you name it, and it still doesnt work. the only place that works is the cancel button after holding the home and power buttons down. Do you know where I can get the "A" model from?

billy,

Same here as Billy, tried it all, include a reboot. Still only can get the "cancel" button to work. I might have found a supplier of the "A" unit, but I am trying to get confirmation and some of it in my hands first before letting everyone know. For some reason, most of the suppliers aren't aware of this problem.

Leland Lee,

Update - have yet to find a new source - so far only received -03 units that do not work (except for the occasional cancel button working) - I correct myself that I do not have any -04 units (and I misread the 0 as a D). Changed and ordered two different digitizers from Amazon instead of eBay - will see if these work. I know it can't be me, because the -A units still work fine, and I have three iPod 2g Touches that do not have water damage waiting for new digitizers - one of them is still under warranty. Have you found the source of an -A unit?

Leland Lee,

Found one that worked from Mobile Mania - it is an -03 model. Go figure - however, the connector on the Mobile Mania -03 model looks more "sturdy" than the other -03s that I have received that did not work. http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-iPod-Touch-...

Leland Lee,

0

jason marshall
1

i have had same problem, i replaced the screen with digitizer and switched it back on and the screen would not respond, i did reboots factory resets, took the screen out and back in again many times, i even took my wifes i phone apart and it still did not work, one last try and paid special attention to the terminal connections and it worked.

0

Josh
1

I think what the problem is when you buy the cheap digitizer the plug is junk. I plugged everything up after swapping cheap lcd and cheap digitizer. Got no picture. Back apart, messed with plugs. Picture, but no touch. Opened back up, put plugs in place, used a small strip of gorrilla tape and taped plug 2 down. Immediately after turning on i did a restore through i tunes and bam, everything works. So, common problem is either ribbon cable is not in far enough, Plug 2 is loose connection, or needs restored afterwards. If you don't get picture plug 1 is not connected secure. I would recommend taping these plugs down reguardless with a small strip of strong tape. Might save you money from buying multiple digitizers.

I can't get one of my ipods to open up to see if the wifi works because i can't get the digitizer to work on the screens I have bought off ebay...and I can't find the model "A" to purchase and the original digitizer model "A" that was on the ipod I ripped the ribbon by accident. UGH so frustrated! All the other models I have tried do not work. I read the post above by Josh and was wondering if I tried taping this stuff down would that work and I think that is what I will try next and let everyone know if it does work. Ok so crazy question...JOSH where do I get gorilla tape??? Walmart?

jelestu,

0

Muleclem
1

Touch screen wasn't working, so I ordered a new digitizer and glass...it arrived and I changed it. No issues. However, same problem still existed. I rebooted it twice, but same problem. NExt, I plugged in a headset...still same problem. Next, plugged in an apple brand headset and voila'...it works. Had the "connect to Itunes" and "enter password" conflict, so am doing a full ipod restore. Best of luck.

0

scott carter
1

I just replaced my iPhone 3G shattered screen and found that when I put it back together it was not working either. I finally realized that when you put the ribbons back together that the new ribbon is tight. You need to be gentle, but make sure it clicks back in place securely. it should not come apart easily. Test screen function before putting back together. I did not have to reboot, or anything. It just worked fine. I have a screen that does not match the original factory numbers either. I payed less than $9.00 shipping and handling included. I bought it online from bestumart don't know too much about them, just did a search on amazon and ordered. Works good so far.

0

jukka
1

Hello

i notiset same problem after replasing the glas.

The problem is in that connegtor capel its not connegt propely!

jukkis

0

Ralph Purtscher
1

SOLUTION: This worked for me on IPad2 (I didn't try IPod): It is very easy to install the touch screen cable upside down - when I flipped it the other way around - everything worked.

0

Art
1

I purchased two sets of both touch glass and screen (single pieces) for my Ipod Nano. the first touch glass did not worked the first screen got scratch easy.

After removing and replacing the pieces several times trying to make it work, I decided, to try the second set. I was very careful how I handle the second set. It turn out to be a success.

Now I just need to find the right adhesive so that I wont have trouble next time to remove the glass if needed.

I end up spending about $50.00 for this experience. I'd do it again. The more you do it the better you will get.

0

Steve
1

I had the same issue. I found that the original touchscreen has a small metal plate at the top under the two digitizer cables. The replacements do not have the plate. You may have to remove the plate and install it on the replacement screen. The digitizer may not work until you actually put the screen together thus allowing the plate to come in contact with the little spring and metal plate on top of the rear facing camera. Once I put my screen together it worked like a charm. I hope this helps!

0

gatortpk
71

My screen does work perfectly, however I found the power button doesn't work. I read that likely I tore the traces on the power/volume control cable for just the power button (since the volume control still works)

I still decided to take it apart again and see if there was anything I could do about the power button. Now, when I put it back together nothing works, I'm certain that I have the connections right, I just think the iPod powered down, and without a working power button, I can't power it back up!

Is there a was to power the iPod up without the power button, and does disconnection the screen while the iPod Touch (4 Gen) some how shut it down.

(Last time it worked because the battery was dead and it beautifully showed the battery icon charging when I plugged it in, then turned on automatically when it charged enough)

I've tried the head phones, but there is no power button there either. Is there a way to jump the power on using contacts on the logic board?

0

dennis
1

i broke this little spring thing when taking apart my iPod touch and now the home button does not work any ideas what i need to replace

0

Dustin Jones
181

Sounds like digitizer connection problem / not hooked up during repair, especially if it was working before the repaired attempt.

0

shereen
1

Can someone help me!!!!!!!!!

My dad was openning my ipod when he mistaken by taking a knife an open

It while the knife probably touch the screen inside and its messed up now.

When I turned it on it wasn't touching an the screen was messed up a little

But now the ink like it spread all over inside.

I'm wondering and want to find out if I can replace the touch screen inside or

If its mashed up for good

Don't know what to do can somebody help me please

Give me some answers :(

0

patel mitul
1

my phone touch glass is broken but customer care is ask change display also but display is working so what can i do

please reply me in my mail patel.5635@gmail.com

thanks

0

Terri
1

To everyone, especially ipad mini users, try unplugging the battery and waiting a few minutes before plugging everything back in. It works for me every time!

-1

Osvaldo Cantu
1

Billy, what is the number parts of all you screens used, I already use the #821-0627-03 and #821-0627-04 and NOT works and the trick of the headphones Not works for me.

Eggy, hyratech send the correct #821-0627-A ? or another one.

Thanks.

This Month: 1,176