0

Nancy Columbia
1

How do you fix a carriage jam?

How do you fix a carriage jam in the photosmart printer?

2

mayer

HP states to NOT pull the paper out.

Here's a link to HP's solution to a carriage jam on this model: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...

Edited by: mayer ( )

I do this all the time, I've heard some BS about it ruing print heads, but I doubt, I've never had that problem. I've followed their advice, but pulling it out always works well.

rab777hp,

1

rab777hp

You have to open it up and take a look, pull down the drawer thing that is above the paper slot, then look and see what's blocking it, you should be able to pull/yank it out if it's just paper.

1

auyeung1962
13

Here is what I discovered...

You need to clean the ink cartridge carriage tracks. the carriage is under the ink cartridges. it slides forward/backward but excess ink was sprayed into the guide tracks and gummed up the tracks.

I used rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to clean out the tracks. it took over 30 minutes to get it clean enough. there are several track sections.

good luck

1

marcus
25

Note that there is a difference between a paper jam and a carriage jam, although one can cause the other. Auyeung1962's answer worked for clearing a carriage jam message on my HP PhotoSmart c4385 that persisted after the paper path was clear, the print carriage was moving freely, power was confirmed, and a hard reset had been performed.

Specifically, the carriage Auyeung1962 refers to is an inkjet wiper tray that sits under the cartridges on the right side of the printer. The tray should slide easily back and forth, at right angles to the print carriage, with just a little hesitation when the wipers go under a scraper bar that sits behind the carriage.

My c4385 was out of warranty and had printed almost 9000 pages when enough ink had accumulated to gum up the wiper tray rails. I cleaned mine with cotton balls, a hemostat, and cheap vodka. I don't think it took me so long, but I didn't go nuts, just cleared where the moving parts slide. I was careful not to get alcohol anywhere where ink doesn't normally splash.

When you've got the tray moving smoothly, make sure you remove any stray cotton fluff, especially from the rubber wipers. Then close up the printer and print a test page (On the c4385 press the Cancel and Green buttons).

Edited by: marcus ( )