2

Thomas Sturge
35

iPhone won't charge and therefore turn on

Couple days ago I plugged my iPhone in to charge over night, it was close to running out of juice but it held out the day.

The charging screen came on as expected, no problems there. When I woke up the iPhone was off but still plugged, I tried turning it back on think it might of crashed over night but it just showed the apple boot logo for around 5 seconds and switched (obvious dead battery).

This didn't make sense, so I unplugged and plugged the cable back in to see what was going on. Same thing, on for 5ish seconds and off, but it's still detecting the cable. Maybe the plug is bad? Tried plugging into a USB port, same again. Not the plug, maybe the cable? Replaced the cable and the problem persists.

So I'm thinking it must be the dock connector or maybe the battery (but it's still trying to boot up, so there must be a little juice and therefore a working battery).

What do you guys think?

Hi, I've just had the same problem yesterday, although I saw it happen: I was reading on my iPhone (3G-16GB) when I noticed that the battery was getting low very quickly (within minutes). I plugged it to the power plug, the charging screen came up, but the battery kept on going low, came under 20%, then after a short while, the screen showed the empty battery message and finally went off. The phone WAS plugged ! Since, I have exactly the same problem as Thomas. I believe the battery is actually dead and has to be replaced. Shite happens, every day :o( == Update == I've replaced the battery, but it didn't solve the problem. Please tell me if also replacing the dock connector does make the difference.

jimbbo,

I've ordered a replace dock connector and battery. That way it will hopefully fix the problem and give me a decent battery life again as a bonus. I was getting 8 hours on a charge if I was lucky before this happened.

Thomas Sturge,

8h is bad - almost as bad as those china clones - but they have 2 active cards ;-)

markus weiher,

Did new dock connector solve your problem?

Pr0meTheUs,

3

jimbbo
217

Well, I hope you manage to save it as I saved mine.

It now works fine.

What about you officially loving me…

Well, I must say that I am very touched and impressed, but I'm quite happily married.

Your hair is slightly too short, the beard should be shaved (as far as I am concerned)

and who knows, may be in my next life, I might be gay, but I'm not for the time being.

Thanks anyway. I do love U2.

:o)

Edited by: jimbbo ( )

2

markus weiher
29k

do you have the apple usb power adapter ? - it would be better to use this instead of the computer usb port.

maybe you should clean the dock connector with a soft paintbrush - if there is dust/debris it could prevent the phone from charging properly

When I say plugged in I meant via the USB power adapter. Just tried cleaning out the dock connector with a small brush with no success.

Thomas Sturge,

ok, only for clarification: you changed the cable, tried different power sources and the phone is still in the "boot loop" (starting and switching off after a few seconds) - right ? the usb port gives not enough power to get past this point (had this on many motorola phones) - the external charger should be fine - but sometimes they dont deliver the needed >500mAh and that would make them equal to charging the phone with the usb port of a computer (~100mAh and if the phone is not recognized only with around 2.6V (also way to low)

markus weiher,

Okay, tried a few different plugs around the house. Definitely not a power source problem. Now I need to find out if it's a dock connector problem or the battery not accepting the charge. Thanks for all your feedback

Thomas Sturge,

FIXED... changed the battery... still wont charge... cleaned the inside of the dock connector in the phone (slightly dirty... fairly clean) but it started charging... i guess some of the connectors were working but it might not have been grounded ok... either way... it started charging right after cleaning it!!! yay

mehigh penet,

Same issue with me. I cleaned out the charge port with a tooth pic. Then used hydrogen peroxide on a q tip. Once the hydrogen peroxide removed the debris it worked.

dan,

2

jimbbo
217

As I previously wrote, changing the battery actually didn´t solve the problem.

Worse, after managing to set the iPhone i recovery mode (10 seconds pressing down both the Home and Power buttons, than releasing only the Power button during 10 more seconds) I couldn´t restore the firmware with iTunes on my MacBookPro (iTunes 9.1.1).

I was ready to say Farewell to my iPhone and buy a new one...

But I eventually tried to restore it with a PC windows XP and iTunes 9.1.1 and it managed to "save" my Precious :-)

Although I had to upgrade it to 3.1.3

Since, I jailbroke it with Spirit as I don´t need to unlock the carrier (allready officially unlocked)

I hope you also manage to have an happy ending.

Edited by: jimbbo ( )

I've now replaced both the Dock Connector and Battery with no lucky. The same problem persists. Try the technique of putting it into recovery mode... Now I officially love you!!

Thomas Sturge,

1

ray
67

its just your battery nOt getting enough charge..

when you charge a iphone with the dead battery SYMBOL

IT BOOTS ITSELF UP INTO APPLE AND THEN THE BATTERY DIES AGAIN..

TRY CHARGING THE BATTERY IN ANOTHER IPHONE..OR TRY PRESSING BOTH BUTTONS TILL THE SCREEN GOES BLANK

WHILE THE CHARGER IS STILL IN THE PHONE..THAT LITTLE DEAD BATTERY SYBOL IS USING MORE THAN WHAT YOU ARE CHARGING SO ITS JUST NOT GETTING ANY CHARGE..ALL THE POWER IS BEING USED ON THAT SYMBOL...GET IT??

NO THANK ME LATER///

SuitSlayer.

There is another way ..put your phone in dfu mode then leave to charge for a few hours..then press both buttons to reset. all will work after that ..never let your iphone go dead...if its dieing then turn it off till you get home.. thank me anytime I'm not gay ..yet ;-) SuitSlayer

ray,

This problem was officially resolved on May 17, 2010 by restoring it....

1

gcar
13

I had the same problem! Stuck on the charging screen for hours (the black one with the empty battery and the lightning) with the power usb plugged in.

I followed the advice of cleaning the dock connector with a toothbrush....the phone started up in 10 seconds. Thank you guys a lot...I would never have tried to clean it because the charging screen made me think that the connection dock was actually working.

I dont believe this! You, mate, are a legend! My iPhone was lying about for over 6-7 weeks and I was not getting round to getting a new battery which I thought I needed. You saved my life. All I have got to buy now is a new toothbrush! Thanks a ton pal!

Ashwin Rai,

0

manish
1

i think its a problem of dc jack

0

stef92185
1

cleaning the dock worked for me! I've been trouble for days! y'all are my heroes!!