0

David Kunz
1

MacBook Pro A1278 starts, apple logo appears then shuts down

My wife has a MacBook Pro a 1278 model that will not boot up or turn on. I'm not certain of the exact version of 1278 but the serial number is: W80226HJATM

When I press the power button I hear the fans start to spin, the screen lights up gray, the Apple logo appears, the progress bar on the The bottom blinks twice while the time dial spins one revolution then the screen goes black and the computer turns off.

I have searched through the forums to find anything that is applies as the system does not hang in eternity,blink on and off or sit spinning -- it starts the boot sequence then just crashes. It has worked mostly fine for a long while, nothing spilled that i am aware of, battery seems good and the problem exists whether it's plugged in or on battery.

I tried command S to diagnose as seen in another post but honestly don't know enough about macs to see what is out of the ordinary as it seems to be a standard boot log. At the end it prompts me to type exit to continue the boot Which I did and the following lines appeared:

KEXT loading now disabled

KEXT unloading now disabled

KEXT autounloading now disabled

Kernel requests now disabled

Can't Get KEXTD port

Syncing disks… Killing all processes

Continuing

Done

CPU halted

Airport: link down on space. Space reason 8 (disassociated because station leaving)

----------------

I managed to take a photo of the previous results I just typed above (before it shut down again) but not certain if there may have been more lines just before it died.

I've read some mention of resetting the smc but can't find any details how to do that.

we will go to our storage locker this afternoon to retrieve the boot disks but not certain what to look for or do when we try to boot off of them.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Best regards,

-David

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , machead3 ( ) , David Kunz ( )

1

machead3

You would do the command-s boot in order to force the boot volume's file system, and repair if necessary.

At the prompt (after all the text stops showing up) you type /sbin/fsck -fy (thats fsck single space dash fy) return Note that this may not be able to fix all problems in a single pass, so if it finds and fixes anything (it'll print "***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****"), run it again, and keep running it until it comes back with something like "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

If this doesn't work, or you could try to run disk repair (command-D) boot to get to disk tools to check the volume, or repair the OS X system.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Edited by: machead3 ( )

Thank you for your reply, I tried the code at the root directory prompt as you recommended and it generated the following response: :/root# /sbin/fcsk -fy [br] ** /dev/rdisk0s2 [br] ** root file system [br] Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491.6~3). [br] ** checking journaled HFS overflow file [br] ** checking catalog file [br] invalid record count [br] (4, 3798) [br] ** the volume untitled could not be verified completely. [br] /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8 [br] :/root# [br] I ran it twice but with the same result. thoughts? Best regards, -david PS. please note that the [br] is supposed to denote the actual line breaks as they appear on the screen but don't seem to be recognised as format code here.

David Kunz,

The HD is corrupted/damaged. It can not repair itself- or Apple's lightweight disk tool can't sort out the problem. Sometimes a 3rd party app like DiskWarrior, DriveGenius or TechToolPr can repair them (and sometimes the damage is too great and the drive must be scrapped)

machead3,

0

Michael
13

I had a late 08 MBP 15 once that did the same thing. I noticed it would continue to boot and not shut down as long as a key was pressed on the keyboard constantly.

Actually it was more like a key had to be pressed every two seconds or so or the machine would shut off.

I replaced the keyboard and that resolved the problem.

Thanks for the tip. We tried it but no dice. Gonna keep searching. Much appreciated however. -d

David Kunz,