0

Josh Townsend
1

iPhone 4 won't turn on after screen replacement

Good mornin guys,

I've done many screen replacements on iPhone 4 smartphones (and others!) before, without any issues.

A while back, my phone was dropped, causing the screen to shatter, so I fitted a replacement screen (digitizer) with no issues as usual. Everything has worked fine for months and months.

After upgrading to iOS7, I accidently smashed my phones screen again. It was on and useable, but the screen was shattered.

I decided to replace the screen again (digitizer, as usual), but this time I got the apple logo "screen of death", followed by a 'connect to itunes' message.

I tried restoring the phone via itunes in every mode possible with no joy, but kept getting the "unknown error" message.

After upgrading my iTunes to v11.3, I tried again. After plugging my iPhone into iTunes, it simply said there is a problem with my iphone and I should contact apple.

Now previously, i've had the same issue ONCE before with the first 4S that I did a screen replacement on. After taking it to apple, they looked at it and said the cause was the after-market screen that the phone has detected, and that because not having a genuine apple screen the phone will no longer work and that they will not repair the phone.

Inevitably, I am led to believe they will say the same about this phone.

What options do I have!? I don't understand why it would work absolutely fine untill an after-market screen is fitted, then decide not to start up. I've tried several other screens (smashed but OEM ones too!) but with no joy. I can't believe that a phone can not work because it's detected an after-market screen. I've never had an issue before.

I am very confident with repairing the iPhone 4 smartphones, and would not believe this has been caused by myself during the repair. The only possible thought is that the fall of the iPhone damaged somethign else inside as the rear camera keeps overheating! But this was not the case pre-screen-replatement.

Any suggestions?

1

Hitordie
37

try this... pull the back off and press down hard on the battery connection. then try to turn it on. I just had this problem. when you take off the battery connector frequently there is a possibility that you can damage one of the prongs that connects it to the motherboard. if so the device isn't getting the right power. by holding it down this will force the connections together. if this works let me know cause there are 2 things you can do to fix it.

1

Bao
13

some screen need a newer ios to work

for example if your iphone 4 or 4s is operating on ios5

it may need to be updated to the latest ios for the screen to work.

0

Vincent Winnfield
1

Hitordle,

I have the same problem, iphone 4 doesnt turn on or charge or recognized - after screen replacement.

Tried to press down hard on the battery connection but doesnt help.

Any suggestions?

0

Hitordie
37

Vincent: have you tried changing the battery? Also be sure to hold down the lock button and the home button. Sometimes after replacement, the screen wont be recognized and you will have to restart it. Hopes this helps.

0

Dakota Kesterson
1

I am having the same issue with the phone trying to restore and it can't is there anything else besides the battery. Or will I have to get a apple screen

0

Rusty Akerman
1

The issue is that the newer aftermarket screens don't support the pre iOS 6 software. I guess the third party manufacturers changed something in the backlight of the LCD.