0

Score

Avatar
ray
1

Asked

flashing, like microwaving a metal object

History

ge browning microwave, model JES1384SF001

flashing inside microwave, just like having a metallic object in oven. thanks ray

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( )

Post Answer

3

Score

Avatar
RoggeSound
1.2k

Answered

Accepted Answer

PermalinkHistory

My microwave also started doing this, and simply cleaning the waveguide cover took care of the problem. In my microwave, the waveguide cover is on the inside of the microwave, high on the side wall. It's about the size of a playing card, made of plastic or fiberboard. I removed mine for cleaning, but that wasn't necessary. Simply keeping the inside of your microwave clean may solve this problem.

I would just like to thank RoggeSound for his thorough answer-- it cleared the issue right up. I wonder if anyone knows how long a microwave should be kept? Until it breaks down?...or? I've had mine a long time-- it's a Goldstar. Thanks

Jane,

Thanks you very much. I'll tell you, my parents still have and use their first microwave. The light on the inside is out and the clock no longer works, but it still cooks food the way it's supposed to. It's from before there were turntables in microwaves. I'd say you should keep your microwave or any appliance until it can no longer be repaired effectively. Then take it apart and find a way to use the parts.

RoggeSound,

Thanks again-- I appreciate hearing that. It's great that people get online and help each other like this. Recently read an article about how people are losing a sense of community due to the way people are isolated from eachother by schedules and economic hardship. The conclusion of the article was that a sense of community needed to be built back into our lives, based on the way we need to live now. An online forum is a step, certainly. Now, of course, local communities need to create ways for people to get together--farmer's markets, or maybe "fix-it" fairs! Hope you and yours are doing well... J.

Jane,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this information, RoggeSound. You kept a perfectly good microwave out of the landfill and saved my family a 100 bucks at a time when we really need it. I removed the waveguide cover and found a piece of debris behind it. Whatever it was was welded to the cover. I scraped off the debris, installed the wavecover and it is working again!

Eric,

2

Score

Avatar
Jim Galway
25

Answered

PermalinkHistory

Try to find where the arcing is coming from by viewing th e inside of the oven "cavity" while the problem is happening. You can safely run a microwave oven with a container of water inside (something like a margerine container for example). The arcing usually indicates that a component is breaking down and carbonizing, therefore becoming conductive and sparking while the oven is on.

It is common for the "waveguide cover" to do this. The problem is caused initially by food debris, etc. becoming stuck in the crevices of the cavity and then becoming conductive. When you locate what is arcing, you will know what component needs to be replaced. Jim

1

Score

Avatar
markus weiher
29k

Answered

PermalinkHistory

microwaves are not my playground but i think you should read the microwave troubleshooting

one question to clarify this a little bit

do you mean inside the chamber or inside the back of the microwave?

+ Research Ralph

rj713,

0

Score

Avatar
beaver12ca
43

Answered

PermalinkHistory

I just want you to understand the risk involved with tinkering with a microwave, from the microwave troubleshooting:

"Careless troubleshooting of a microwave oven can result in death or worse. Experienced technicians have met their maker as a result of a momentary lapse of judgement while testing an oven with the cover removed. Microwave ovens are without a doubt, the most deadly type of consumer electronic equipment in wide spread use.

Please be very careful if you remove any covers.

0

Score

Avatar
Jim Galway
25

Answered

PermalinkHistory

I'm suggesting that the user keep his/her hands in their pockets during the analysis phase. Make sure that the power is disconnected and the high voltage cap is discharged before doing any disassembly or replacement! Under those conditions, a microwave oven is completely safe to work on. I mean, after almost 40 years in the business, I'm still here!! JIm

0

Score

Avatar
Alan Reed
1

Answered

PermalinkHistory

I removed the said light filter type card and the microwave oven is working again i shall replace the cover before future use though

Add Your Answer

View Statistics:

Today: 3

This Week: 46

This Month: 126

All Time: 6,072