2

Patrick Cummings
25

How do you Solve Service Battery Warning

I am getting the service battery warning in the battery drop down menu. It comes on with all three batteries that I use and the battery seem to have a much shorter life now as well. They were purchased at different times and one just a year ago so I am kind of surprised they would all die at the same time. Do I just need to replace them or is this a sign for a power management problem?

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

7

mayer

Download Coconut battery and check it: http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutba...

This issue has a discussion thread in the Apple Forum but so far is unanswered. You might subscibe to the issue. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...

Edited by: mayer ( )

If it happens to be covered under Apple Care get it in and/or extend the warranty. Since this is a known issue, they might even fix it if it's out of warranty.

mayer,

Good research + Ralph

rj713,

The simultaneous "service need" of three batteries bought at different times makes me think of "the light bulb conspiracy". An interesting documentary about industries making sure products doesn't last too long. One example was built in malfunction alert after a certain number of copies for an Epson printer (the exact model that I have. LOL). Someone had found out how to reset the counter which removed the "problem". Thanks to Mayer for the link. It seems my battery is fare from exhausted even though I get the "Service Battery" too.

bjoernen dk,

2

rab777hp

Try resetting the SMC.

2

Matt
25

there is only 2 fixes

1- Static discharge with specific directions

1.take out the battery and magsafe power cord

2.hold the power button for 30 seconds (static discharge)

3.put the magsafe and wait until the led is green

4.put the battery in

if that doesnt work

2-Recalibrate the battery (takes a long time)

1.charge your battery up to 100% until the led is green on the power cord

2.take out the power cord and run it all the way out of batteries

3. make the computer sleep for 5 hours to drain it out of juice completely

4. charge it back up all the way

Anything else is pointless, its macintosh so its not a software problem

its always a hardware problem...for WIndow$ you typically update the bios

thank you ... the "1- Static discharge with specific directions" its work well on my Macbook Unibody 2.4 Ghz

mumu0007,

This is just a more aggressive method in resetting the SMC. It is not technically removing static, just removing all power & charged logic capacitors power (creating a null state) so the SMC goes into a reset condition.

Dan,

The static discharge worked on my 13" MacBookPro (with a 3.5 year old battery). I had originally removed the battery to fix my track pad. Then I noticed a month or so later the service battery warning. (I wasn't using the mac a lot, so not sure if the warning happened right after and I just didn't notice.) I went back in, disconnected the battery (did not remove), held power button down for 30 seconds, reconnected power cord, and then reconnected battery. I though it was kind of stupid to be reconnecting the battery while power cord was connected since these batteries are not designed to be replaced by end users and have a wired connection. But it did the trick (where as resetting the SMC did not).

Brent Man,

Hi! for the static discharge, do you plug in the power cord while holding the power button after 30 seconds or you release the button and then plug in the power cord??

Fede,

SMC reset not static discharge. And you want to remove the power cord from the system when you do it, then you plug it in as you hold it.

Dan,

0

Chris Perra
162

Try taking it to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) and have them run a battery test on it to see if it is failed prematurely or if it's just exhausted.

0

Sotiris Konstas
1

i think that AASP is the best solution. Dan thanks for the guide but i need a guide making static discharge in my macbook pro unibody...haha thanks again...

cheers

If you meant how to reset the SMC here's that guide EFI & SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs In this case I don't think this will help if you're getting the service battery warning as the battery needs replacement. Replacing the battery isn't too difficult a job for a first timer.

Dan,

0

Sotiris Konstas
1

all problems with warning battery service appeared after an upgrade. everything get stacked and i used Onyx to be cool again. I have a macbook pro(8,2) early 2011 with 10.8.5 and battery health was 88% (430 battery loads - 30 months macbook). After the upgrade (2 weeks now or a month i cant remember) i have 60% of battery health and 436 battery loads. I tested recalibration for the battery (without leaving my pc sleeping for 5 hours) and of course i opened from behind to get out the battery and making the trick with the 30sec... but nothing happened except than when i reconnect power cord fans started....Dan any advise about this?i need a step by step guide doing the work rightly..and then i will go to an AASP...or not? haha

cheers

S.

0

jibrilabdulkadir
1

Thanks mumu0007, your procedure worked for me. I re-calibrated the battery using your steps as indicated. thanks.

0

Rosario
1

I followed Matt's reset instructions and it worked. Thanks

BTW, I found the same info on the Apple Support Communities site, with more detailed info on

Resetting the SMC (system management controller).

One difference I noted: Matt said hold down power button for 30 seconds. Apple said 5 sec.

For the record, I did 30 seconds.

It did more than remove that battery service light.

My fan used to also run excessively, and now that is fixed too!

Worth checking out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

This Month: 2,934