0

Stephen Labrador
11

How do I upgrade my ram to 8GB? without computer freezing?

I replaced the manufactures ram that was originally 2x2GB. Tried upgrading to 2x4GB with the system maximum allowed memory is 8GB. After I installed the kit, the computer would freeze during start up and would not continue unless you reset the computer. I verified if the ram were installed right and made sure there were no damages on both ends. Maybe not the smartest idea but I took one of the 4GB and swapped with one of the originally 2GB. The system works with having two unequal ram, a 2GB and 4GB with a total of 6GB memory. I have upgraded this MacBook Pro to OS Maverick but unsure if that has any effect. The 2 x 4GB kit I bought is cheap inexpensive brand. PNY 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz. Unsure what are the next steps but I am hoping to get a solution so I can use the money well spent on the new kit.

1

Dan

Try checking the EFI firmware level. Review this Apple TN EFI & SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs. Is it the newest version for this system if not that could explain it.

I checked the website and confirmed that the SMC as well other updates are up to date for this computer.

Stephen Labrador,

Good, so that leaves it as a bad socket or module. Since you are able to use both slots with different modules (the original memory) that really implies the PNY memory is the issue here. Time to return it and get a different brand.

Dan,

So if I spend just a bit more money and buy myself the brand Crucial. What would be the odds if that could work? I swapped both of the PNY modules on both slots with the 2GB module. 6GB still came up as I reset the system. I did some researching and still can not understand the fact I can't upgrade my ram to an 8GB.

Stephen Labrador,

mmm… Something is a-mis here. What is the last four digits of your serial number?

Dan,

S/N of my macbook pro or one of the S/N of the 4GB module? Macbook pro 13 mid 2010 last 4 of S/N: WATM PNY 4GB ram S/N: 0x00000000 Original 2GB ram S/N:0x96115A68 I never seen a SN with just a bunch of "0"

Stephen Labrador,

1

Majesty

Sounds like bad RAM or incompatible RAM. Make sure under system report that the RAM you purchased is exactly the same specs as the RAM that initially came with your Mac. Also, whenever you introduce new hardware to a Mac it is always a good idea to Do a PRAM reset. During boot hold the Command,Option, and the P and R keys simultaneously and hold till the machine reboots and chimes 3 times then release and boot.

I checked the 4GB ram and shows as the same specs that are needed to run on the computer. I haven't tried the PRAM reset yet but that will be the next step.

Stephen Labrador,

0

Pinak Hussain
1

i am having the same issue. Stepehen did u fix the issue?

my mac book will not even boot with 2 4x4 gb crucial memory and supported by mb, but it will boot with the old 2gb and 1X4b

Edited by: Pinak Hussain ( )