3

Hitcher
73

Mac Pro won't boot

Everytime I press the power button, the white power LED comes on for a few seconds, and I hear fan noise then the machine just "clicks" off, almost as if someone removed the power cord abruptly. Needless to say, I didn't remove the power nor was the supply interrupted. I've tried diagnosing the problem by removing external devices one by one, but that made no difference. Also I did all the resets you can think of etc.

I've made a video so you can see the problem yourself. The ASP was unable to locate the problem.

Mac pro won't boot up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2LHDMFm...

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , rj713 and Sterling Hirsh ( )

great way to ask a question +

mayer,

3

Hitcher
73

The problem is solved. It was the PSU

thanks for the feedback

markus weiher,

1

markus weiher
29k

i've google'd a little

there are a few issues so far - the macpro mostly fail on airport and video cards, some had ram issues

maybe you should start searching for "dust", check the fans and everything that looks like a cooling vent), remove the unneeded stuff from the mac, even the hdd and the optical drive (every card in it except for the video card and a set of rams) and try to start it again (if it starts, try it the next time, plug one of the unplugged items in and see if it still boots (and so on))

a few more info's

here

here

here

1

Joachim Barnreuther
13

I just had the exact problem on my 2006 MacPro 1,1.

I managed to get it to work. The symptoms where almost identical. It would attempt to start, and then just "pop" off again. I took all memory out (except for original ram), my 3 extra hard drives, even the video card, all with the same result.

I ended up taking the "insides" apart and thoroughly cleaning every part. I took the video card fan assembly off, cleaned the heatsink and cooling grid, I took the PSU fan apart, cleaned it. I took the front two fans out and cleaned them, as well as the back fan (by the memory). I also cleaned the cooling grid of the cpu. All these items had layers and layers of dust on them, almost like little blankets. While I had it apart I also replaced the CR2032 memory battery, since it is cheap, and I had read that there could be start-up issues if it was old..

After this, it started like a champ, and it was soooo quiet!!!

1

David
13

Hi There every body, mine from 2011 was dead, some weekends, try to rapair for this time, until i decide to put 3 ATX PSU 20amp in 12v Rail each, one for J1 conector, one for J2 conector and one for J3 Conector the c conecctor use 5vsb 3.3 vsb and PSU-ON and Ground, this mac pros drawn to much current thats the only way to do it satable 3 x 20amp atx PSU, the only thing you miss is the sleep fuction, but you get you $2000 machine back to life, people goes crazy buying used motherboard, Used PSU that have the same problem as original... serach for j1, j2, j3, c pinout take 3 cheap atx psu thats it, J3 goes for hd, pci 6 pin , j2 goes for cpus , j1 goes for pcie, C goes standby power and memory.... waste 1 hour and $60 to bring your mac to life again, you can takeit to apple support they dont get with failure and take your money, here in my countre apple service take from me a video card replacement hd 2900, they say they replaced psu to, i spend more than $600 for nothing, google you will see tons of people having the same problem, and buying on ebay a used PSU it wont work they all have se same problem in short time you will get failure again, is a PSU problem....

0

dxhole
1

I've got the same problem (early 2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz). It boots up if the power cable has been removed for sometime, and runs fine. The diagnostic led's on the logic board do not indicate any problem, but for a few weeks now I have found the computer off after leaving it sleeping over night. This seemed to happen more often, and it would take longer for the chimes to sound after turning it on. I've ordered a psu, so fingers crossed :-)

I fitted a replacement power supply a few days and it has fixed the problem. So I would say that if you have the same issues as Hitcher, it's the power supply.

Edited by: dxhole ( )

0

Kari James
1

I had the same problem too. I operate a Mac Pro Early 2006, but it just can't start up after a long sleep. When I pressed the power button, it seems starting but then just buff off. I've taken all hdds and rams and let the machine running with just os Hd and it seems to be going. I've tried installing the unplug hardware and seems to be working. Another option i normally tried also, which helped to me due with start up issue is a preRam reset by, cmmd, opt together with P and R key, all pressed down after you hear the first chime, and still pressing it till you hear the second chime then released the keys.

But I think i might be agree with dxhole, commenting on the power supply. It could be the source of the problem.

Hope to hear any further comments on this folks..

0

Marty
1

Has anyone had boot up dramas and your mac pro chimes 4 times in a row?

I had the power supply replaced 5 months ago. I had to have the graphics card replaced 3 months ago. Everything ran smoothly most days. I've had a random problem that when I boot up the mac pro won't recognise external drives. It doesn't show them on the desktop. I found that if I turned the mains power off for 20 seconds or so, and removed and replaced all usb and firewire leads, when I hit the boot / power button all external drives would once again appear on the desktop.

Currently my problem is, I went to boot up this morning, now I have the start up light, a chime then nothing! I've tried a safe boot several times and also an install disc boot by holding down the "C" key on the keyboard, the disc seems to be spinning, then nothing. I have unplugged all peripherals and tried booting, but nothing! I can see nothing on my screens at all! I get random chimes when I hit the power button, sometimes once, sometimes 4. What the @#^* is going on? My machine is a 2007 model / 4 gig ram. Pretty average in todays market.

Any info would be greatfully accepted!

0

Kari James
1

Hi Matty

I'm not sure whether you've find the solution for your problem, but try resetting the smu on the logic board and see if it works on ya.

thanks

0

luis grifu
1

Hello Matty,

i had the same problem as you and i´m having it again.

MacPro 2008 with 4 Gbytes and 2 harddrives.

After one year of use i started having problems like you, randomly when i pressed the power button: lights on, chime and nothing....no apple logo. This symptom increased until i couldn't start the computer any more. The computer presented also the same sympthon as Hitcher. Sometimes i couldn't startup the computer for hours, or days....

My computer was at repair center almost 6 months !!!! For them, the computer was alright until i was lucky to show them that the computer was not ok. So, they replaced the PSU....and it was ok, for 15 days.... then.... it started with the same sympthons..... crazy!!! but the repair center wouldn't make the repair again because it was out of guarantee (6 months in the repair center..!! time goes by...in Europe we have 2 years).... After almost 6 months i was able to convince Apple that my computer was out of guarantee because of the time it was in repair center. I took my computer to another repair center and they replace the PSU...

I´m working with the computer now for one year since the replacement and it started again.... so... i believe that i need another PSU... very strange issue.... this is the third PSU to be damage

PS: my graphics also was replaced....but it was the model with problems that apple had a replace program .... althought again... i was not lucky... they didn't accept my card... the replace program had terminated!!!

This question is from 2010. You'd get better results starting a new question.

mayer,

0

BrandZing
1

Similar startup problem as mentioned earlier except after running for a while, the Mac Pro 2007 computer starts making this loud fan noise and it gets increasingly louder until it sounds like a jet engine ready to take off?

Mac Mall says it's a combination of the fans and hard drive going bad and want about $400 to replace?

0

Gio
1

Hi David, I would like to talk to you about your modification (3 x PSU), can you please get back to me? Would be great if you could document this, maybe on free blog (if you don't have a website), or Youtube etc...

Is your system still working OK?

I too have an Early Mac Pro 2008 Apple with a bad power supply / PSU.

Shame on Apple for not doing anything about it, there are tons of people out there with dead power supplies / PSUs in their Mac Pro 2008, 2009, 2011 etc...

Apple should do a recall or something.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Gio ( )