0

Myk
1

Why can't I add files to my Toshiba external hard drive?

I plug in my 1.5 TB Toshiba external hard drive on a mac and i can view my files, copy & paste them to my desktop. But I can not add any files to the hard drive. A "cancellation" sign appears when I try to drag and drop any type of file? I have over 1 TB of files on drive with 500 GB of free space left. I would transfer files to another device then attempt reformatting it, but i don't have the time or money to do this. Any help or suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

0

Dan

You could try burning a few DVD's with the data to back it up first if you can''t get another HD to hold the files even temporary.

As to fixing the problem, first make sure you have a backup as you might loose a few files in the process. Try running Apples' Disk Utility program first verifying the disk and then repair it if needed. Then try fixing the permissions again first verifying then repair it.

If you still have problems you may want to try a 3rd party app like Disk Genius It also can defragment the drive as well.

The last option is to reformat as you already know. - Good Luck

0

Bernie
909

If your ext drive is using Microsoft's NTFS, there's your problem. Back up your files in it, then use Disk Utility to erase and format your drive with the Mac OS Extended Journaled file system. Note that if you use this drive in a Windows machine, you'll have problems with recognition of the new format system.

Good point! But I get a different error when I try to copy files to a NTFS volume. If that were the case he can get a NTFS mounter extension to allow his Mac to read & write to the NTFS volume. Its possible he had this and for some reason the extension is no longer working which could explain the odd error. I would still try to fix the disk first under Disk Utility as I had outlined above. It will also show what the drive was formatted with putting his mind at rest.

Dan,

0

Kristin Macdonald
1

i had the same issue after I got a new laptop. I did not want to reformat my external -- just add more to it and take stuff off it. To add new photos and videos -- i went up to the New Folder section; made and opened a new folder and dragged (drug?) the photos / videos into folders. It worked!