6

Tyler Farrar
65

NANDJ_ Find flash media and keep out ERROR FIX!

So if you are ever messing around with your iPhone 5 and you put it back together and come across the : " cannot find flash media or FIND flash media and keep out error " and this will not let you boot properly.It gives you the red screen of death, it can give you just this error code and restart, or just the apple logo and restarts.

I found the fix, Finally. I believe I am the first to find this, and it is relatively simple to fix. This is probably my first post to the internet that can actually help a majority of people that i've seen with this error and no fix for it yet. So from what I've experienced it's due to your front camera sensor assembly connector being damaged. The connectors on these things are extremely fragile and the connector seems to bow like a banana fairly easy.

FIX:

So here is a way to try to narrow out the problem. Hook up only the LCD/Digitzer connector only, and "hard reset your phone" and see if it starts back up :) . if it does, then you've found out that its for sure the front camera connector.

Also there are 2 parts to this 3rd connector, there is the 1.Proximity SENSOR and the 2 .FRONT CAMERA are soldered together like an assembly, i highly recommend purchasing the assembly (front camera and proximity sensor) and not just the front camera flex cable as it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to install. and i mean DIFFICULT.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Tyler Farrar ( )

!@#$ dude, I was getting that error so I opened up my phone to check it out, no signs of water damage or anything, go over to a genius bar and they run the standard restore (with a dfu attempt) and get an error, so they try it a second time and get that kernel error, some lady took the phone to the back and comes back to me in 10min and says your phone has water damage!@!@!@!@ i almost went berserk, I knew there was no water damage i just looked at an indicator a few hours before. She tried to make me pay 220$, I took my phone back home and found this post. Was skeptical but tried this idea as I had nothing to lose, I left the last connector (front camera connector) off and what do you know my phone booted. Many thanks man saved me from my injustice. Dumb lady should get fired. Never expected this from Apple.

Strategic Plan,

Tyler i took 3 hours tonight solving this problem. After mounting and dismounting cables, see threads on internet, pray god, i resolved. IT'S AN ASSEMBLY ISSUE. The proximity sensor has a belzel around. When you unmount from the old lcd assembly to mount in the new one, may be you mounted upsidedown, this shortcircuits the proximity sensor leads. Try and tell me :D good night

darke,

great post!

Jc5278,

I think this is my problem. so the solution is just to buy the new thing?

Ron,

Yep, worked like a charm for me by buying a new one. No idea how this happens but I know that replacing the front camera etc works :)

Patrick Lee,

3

Tommy
223

This is true, I own a repair shop and a customer tried a home repair and got this. The problem is with the seating of the front camera assembly. Sometimes it seems like its down properly but its not, like Tyler said above take the connector out and boot it. Then seat it properly and see does it still work. Well done Tyler, not many people post this up when they find the problem

i did what you said tommy, but the only thing that worked was my earpiece. More suggestions?

Jose Miguel,

Make sure when you replace the front camera onto the new screen that the connectors are in the right place for the earpiece to make contact with. Also disconnect all cables again and re seat them and make sure cable bracket is re fitted

Tommy,

Now I bought Another proximity/camera assembly and installed it but still got this error?

Jose Miguel,

P.s and when I booted it up my iPhone get super hot! Only happens when 3rd connector is connected.

Jose Miguel,

1

neworleanscomputer
13

Had this problem on an iPad 4 Retina... Replaced the back camera and all was fine. :)

Let's keep it professional in here, ok? There will always be "know-it-alls" on tech boards that pride themselves on their superior intellect. There's no point in arguing with or letting them get under your skin. And for what, a stupid phone? At what point, do you realize that you aren't in control of your technology and it controls you? This type of behavior degrades the integrity of this site and must stop immediately.

neworleanscomputer,

1

sam
13

Nand Flash Errors at Boot up are usually caused by the iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C Front Camera/Proximity Flex Cable. Its either a damaged cable or the connector is on incorrectly. Sometimes when connectors on wrong u will get a RED Screen of Death. Do not Panic....Just swap out the Front Camera/ Proximity Flex Cable and you will be ok.

I have also seen Nand Flash errors on iPad 4G as well. I fixed this by replacing one of the flex cables. You just have to disconnect each flex cable at bootup 1 by 1 until you figure which is bad . Then replace it.......

FYI.... On the 5S and 5C be real careful when connecting the Prox cable. The Connector is offset and may snap in the wrong way...Be Careful......

1

Mimers
13

I dont think is some flex cables in my case.

I have tried to put my motherboard the defective one in another iPhone 5 that is working all fine, but still i get the error code and NAND flahmediakeepout something. So i am pretty sure there is something wrong with the motherboard ;(

I am going to try sending it to apple, its still under warranty though..

0

jules rost
1

I was pulling my hair out about this thinking I had been sent faulty screens and wondering if Apple had intruduced an update to check if screens were genuine or something! Your fix works great!

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH NOT CORRECT! this is NOT THE ONLY SOLUTION AnD this Problem has various causes! LOOK ----> i reflow the iphone 5 on 170c for 29 secs (not too close avcorse) l BCZ OF WIFI Module issue!which sometimes see networks and sometimes not ! the antenna is fine ! THEN ive LET IT Cool DOWN REASSEMBLED IT! and guess what ? then THIS ISSUE APPEARS !!!!!!! I CHANGED ALSO A NEW FULL LCD +DIGITIZER ASSEMBLY ! i removed all front back AND front camera ASSSENMBLY I OPENED THE ALUMINIUM CAGE CORRECTLY AND i removed 2 capacitors that should fix it ,BUT NOT!!!STILL REMAIN WITH THIS ERROR AND NO RESTORE therefore MY QUESTION IS THE U2 MIGHT BE CAUSING THIS ISSUE ? EVERYTHING ! has been tried !!!!!! SERIOUSLY! AND THE NAND SEEMS TO BE OK! WHAT DOES OM TESLA HAS TO SAY ABOUT IT ? WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS ???????DO YOU KNOW ? let ME GUESS? ) NO ONE WILL ANSWER THIS !! THAT BCZ NO ONE HAS THE REAL SOLUTION

MASTA KAHUNA,

0

Johan
13

Hi Guys,

It is true indeed. I own a repairshop in the Netherlands and somehow the sensor creates trouble sometimes. When the connector is not connected, the iPhone starts normally. But what do we do wrong? I always replace the sensor from the old screen to the new screen very carefully. The sensor has got some adhisive under the two gold ear speaker-connectors. Thats where I carefully stick a small screwdriver to dissemble the sensor (see picture).

I assume this is the safest way to disassemble the sensor (without damaging it) from the old screen. Do you guys do it the same way or do you have other methods? There must be something we're missing in this whole thing.. What exactly do we damage on the sensor-cable or connector?

Thanks in advance,

Johan

MASTA KAHUNA,

0

brisbane wholesalers
1

HI GUYS,

m a mobile repair tech in australia since 7 years now and own few franchises here in same field..(repair and unlocking)

the whole thing which goes wrong while we take off the proximity cable in iphone 5 is it shorts with the lcd bezel (alluminium plate under lcd).

and secondly , what i experienced is when u take off the proxy flex from board and put it back on.. make sure u take ur time and b calm and gentle. try to use tweesers to the best possible.(non stativ ones)

i 2 iphone 5 board by changing screens with my metal screw driver and hands.. .coz of static current in human body..

NICE POST..

0

Mimers
13

I have a iPhone 5, i have changed the back housing and the LCD. Now i am getting crash all the time, and also NAND error. In the report it says, panic and also reset counter..

It only crash when in standby mode, it never crashes when i am actually using the phone.

Please anyone, can help me with this one?

I have tried disconnecting the flex cable for the front camera, but still got the crash.

Do i need to put a whole new flex cable before this works?

Thank you!

Edited by: Mimers ( )

You should only have to disconnect it and then for it to work. If it's only crashing in standby then something else must be wrong with the phone. Is the NAND error message the same or are you able to provide photos?

Patrick Lee,

0

Jonny
65

ifixit saved my butt...again! Except this was with a 5C. Thnx for this great post! Great old thread bump for sure.

0

Brendan Hsu
1

From my experience, it has been a broken/ripped power button flex cable. This has happened to me twice and I replaced it both times - fixing the issue.

This Month: 2,482