1

Cliff
13

phone got wet with salt water

The phone was in an otter box in my bag and was hit by a wave. Took it out of the bag and otter box the phone was still on the screen turned black and the phone got hot. Put the vaccume cleaner suction to the speakers on the bottom for a second or 2. let it sit for 2 weeks. tried to turn on and nothing removed the SIMs card no visual damage. Pluged phone in to the phone charger and a battery came up showing a small red line like it had a dead battery tried charging all night and sill wasnt charged. It showed an icon just below the battery of a lightning bolt and when i unpluged it showed a plug in and a lightning bolt.

2

Daniel Dugger
175

When your phone got into the water the battery contacts shorted out and destroyed the battery. You can get a new battery from iFixit and install it yourself. This will usually correct the problem, but there is a slight chance that the logic board is damaged. I would first get the battery, and if that does not work then you would have to get another logic board for your iPhone.

Edited by: Chris Cline ( )

iPhone 3G Replacement Battery

Replacement battery for iPhone 3G. Compatible with all iPhone 3G models. Does not require soldering. — 25 available at 14.95 each.

2

Ron
25

The secret of saving any salt water electronic device, is to immediately, as it comes out of the salt water, submerge and flush it with fresh water over and over. Then remove it from the fresh water and immediately blow out all water with compressed air. Place the unit in a warm oven less than 90 F. Let it bake for several hours being careful not to overheat it. The alternative to this is to use a warm (not hot) hair drier, and a lot of time. Don't become impatient and overheat the unit. When you are completely certain that it is dry, inside and out, replace the battery and start it up.

Speed in getting it into freshwater is the most important aspect. Do not allow any salt water to dry in the unit. Also I forgot to mention remove the battery as soon as possible preferably as it comes out of the fresh water or before.

Edited by: Ron ( )

+Ron, good approach, but why not just follow this guide http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Electronics_W... . You are still having water under any component that sits slightly aboye the logic board. Biggest concern will be corrosion after.

0

Nick

I am revamping my old answers now

First, start with cleaning the logicboard and dock connector

iPhone 3G Logic Board Replacement

iPhone 3G Dock Connector Replacement

this is done with 97% isapropal alcohol and a toothbrush, I would also remove the EMI shields from the phone too to clean under there, and brush the motherboard and such

after that, take the motherboard and dock connector out and let them dry, and REPLACE THE BATTERY

iPhone 3G Battery Replacement

if that does not help, replace the dock connector and try again

iPhone 3G Dock Connector Replacement

if that does not help, it will be your motherboard in this phone, and in that case, don't bother, not even I can justify the motherboard cost myself

Edited by: Nick ( )

0

Tetsuo
181

It's most likely the phone is beyond repair by now. Salt water is incredibly corrosive and if enough got in to short circuit the battery, some damage has occured. Salt water damage can SOMETIMES be fixed but rarely after letting it sit and corrode for two weeks. You might as well pull it apart and have a look.

0

Steve Logan OSG
325

I'm with 'beyond repair' above me. That said if your time and efforts are free to you, you have only the cost of parts to worry about. I would recommend a limited approach, as the salt walter tells me 'reliable' may not be in it's future if it works at all. My definition of limited approach- try the battery. If that does not work, STOP. One could go down the rabbit hole on this one, buying part after part, until you were better off just getting a cheap 3GS.

0

Andy
1

when I was at the beach, high tide was coming in and my phone got drenched. put it in rice for about a day and a half, thankfully my iphone worked ok except the battery would get drained super quickly, and whenever I charged the phone, not only would it get extremely hot ( but I mean, at some points it would be impossible to touch it was so hot) but it took twice the amount it usually did to charge. I'd have a 100% battery and then two hours later with minimum use it was dead.

so i left it for about two weeks. tried charging it again, but I got the exact same reaction. So on a whim about a month after it got sea water damage, I decided to open the phone and see if it was a problem I could fix. what I noticed was a few screws were rusting, so I removed the rust, and then I swept the whole phone with a lint free towl. There was still water inside, and weirdly enough a thin layer of salt covering the battery inside my phone. it looked like clear glitter flakes. put everything back together and I charged it...now it works perfectly.

idk what I did, but I am hoping the reason it was acting the way it did was because of the salt that was stuck in there.

"the salt that was stuck in there."all the more reason for you to rinse your logic board with sterile water , then to clean it with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush. The salt will cause your board to corrode pretty quick...change the battery while you are at it as well.

0

Amanda
1

What kind of phone was that @andy? My htc one went swimming in the ocean last weekend. It has been drying in rice for a week, but I'm not sure I can open the phone to clean the salt and corrosion without damaging the phone. Any pointers? The idea of dunking the phone in fresh water seems horrific to me since I cannot remove the battery.