0

Flo
1

Install Seagate Momentus XT in iMac (late 2009)

Hi all,

I am considering to exchange my current drive with the Seagate Momentus XT in my iMac (late 2009). I think it is a very nice trade off between performance vs. storage vs. price.

My question is does it fit? Especially considering temperature aspects.

Comments are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flo.

2

Dan

The Seagate Momentus XT drive is only a 2.5" where as your current drive is a 3.5". So as to fit you'll need to get a conversion rail set. Frankly, I would go with a high RPM 3.5" drive instead if you need to do this now. Otherwise I would wait a bit.

There are some newer hybrid drives coming (even a full 3.5" version) in the next few months that you may find better.

Here's the replacement drives for the Momentus XT Seagate announced new line up of Seagate SSHD drives

1

PSSJ
97

In my opinion I would put a Western Digital Raptor in it if you are looking for performance on a budget. Another opinion is that I see hybrid drives failing more than the raptors is why I suggest that. If you have the money buy a SSD (Samsung and OCZ are the higher end ones) and the bracket to fix a 2.5" into a 3.5" slot like Dan stated above to make it fit that would be an amazing upgrade for your system. Best of luck!