0

Adam Ayub
1

iPad Mini Home Button Not Working After Digitizer Replacement

Replaced an iPad Mini digitizer today and all seemed to be ok prior to putting the actual digitizer on.

But after putting the digitizer back on, the home button does not work, or to be more accurate, it always thinks it's pressed.

We tested the home button prior to putting the digitizer back on and it was working. For some reason the iPad thinks the home button is always depressed (if you press the power button, it takes a snapshot).

Any ideas?

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( )

The problem was there was a little support item sitting underneath which was out of place everytime we put the digitizer back on. Managed to eventually get it right. My only advice is to keep trying to get the alignment right.

Adam Ayub,

7

GtechiRepair
61

HERE IS THE LOGICAL ANSWER

After reading through all post I still could not find the right fix, A lot of the post on the right track but explaining it kind of wrong, The easiest solution Is to go back to the old screen at the bottom where the Home button is located, There you will see two pieces of fabric tape, The one closest to the home button will be layered over a clear piece of tape, try to remove them together, use x acto knife to lift up corner, then a good pair of tweezers to peel it off.

Perform the same procedure To the fabric tape to the left, Then place both pieces down on your new digitizer, In the same place that they were in on the original. This should solve your problem 100%. iPad Mini is a very very difficult repair, And I have done many, There's always a problem I learn every day.......Cheers!

*Attached is a image of the area you need to be working in, I had already removed the fabric tape before posting this, but I have outlined the areas as best as I could*

Edited by: GtechiRepair ( )

thank you !! this thing was driving me crazy

iwillfix,

Hey Andrew, the two long thin padding with the funny cloth like surface, At the bottom of the iPad mini, near the bottom of the LCD, peel them off Completely. This should fix the crazy pad reaction when it's all sealed up.

GtechiRepair,

All hail gtechirepair! I shall name my first born after you no matter how much she opposes the name change! The tape is CLEAR, look closely folks! Only took me 10 hours to spot it lol

Gavin,

1

smartrepairs
13

---Solution for my iPad Mini Home Button Problem ----

This is for those who replace their screens with glasses including preinstalled home Button and IC.

I noticed by compairing the defective and the new part that the housing of the home Button of the replacement part is a bit thicker than the original one.

That was the trick for me. Place just 2 cusions beside the home button hole and the thicker

housing cant activate the button anymore. This trick worked out for me. Glass from the outside is still OK.

I think its just a matter of 1mm.

Please check the photo.

Hope that could help u.

1

jessabethany

Paolo--

Check to see if you have created a kink in the digitizer flex cable---this has happened to me especially with some of the lower quality colored mini digitizers out there when I've had to lift the screen a few times to try and solve taping issues.

The digitizer cable must loop toward the lcd.

jessa

Thank you very much Jessa for the reply! the owner of the 'ipad said he stopped going crazy ..... just as well, because frankly I do not want to lose more time with the iPad mini. The digitizer cable should be folded correctly ..... but in fact the glass was mildly raised above the cable. I think this is the first and last ipad mini i fix!!

Paolo Perozzi,

0

YoloRepair ca
1k

Looking at the home button pins the pin closer to the home button well call this pin #1

Pin #1 and #3 are ground pins.

Pin#2 is the home button pin (if you press the home button basically you're connection pin #2 with #1/3)

Make sure that pin #2 has no continuity with #1/3 unless you press the home button.

0

Jamie Drumlake
13

I had this problem and managed to fix it. The issue seemed to be with a set of contacts on the new digitizer, they had a piece of the orangey tape over them, which i removed. Do not remove this. On the original, broken one, it had black fabric tape over the copper contacts. The contacts are to the left of the home button when looking at the back of the digitizer, they are both on the home button ribbon cable, one is rectangular and one is square. I put standard electrical tape over both of these and it appears to have fixed the problem.

0

smartrepairs
13

I would say its a defective home flex cable if it would not work outside of the case.

It even works if its almost in the ipad mini housing, but as soon as the glass sits in, homebutton goes crazy. Tried the electrical tape hint didnt work out for me.

0

Jamie Drumlake
13

Maybe my tape gave it just enough lift for mine to work, the pic attached is the old one with the black fabric tape in the position i tried to emulate, scuse the cat hair, i just dug it out of the bin!

0

Linda
1

I had the same problem with the home button going crazy after replacement and tried all the above with no success. What finally fixed the problem for me is removing the two long adhesive strips holding the lcd. Once I removed them and left all the tape mentioned above it worked perfectly. I hope this helps some of you.

Andrew, why don't you remove the two adhesive stripes holding the lcd then trying it. That might do the trick for you.

Edited by: Linda ( )

0

Andrew
1

I have a similar problem but not the home button but the digitizer itself...

When out of the iPad everything works as it should but when I place the digitizer back in the case it acts as if someone was touching the screen in random places.

I have it down to the bottom left corner of the iPad mini. When I press that corner in it goes crazy but if I stick a pick or a piece of paper in that corner to elevate it it works fine. I don't think I can use it with a guitar pick sticking out of it...

any suggestions?

0

YoloRepair ca
1k

Hey Andrew, yes I've encountered this problem. The solution is to put tape from one end of the LCD to the other at the bottom. So basically from left to right. Obviously don't cover the LCD. Just the bottom part only. If you need more assistance let me know. My website is my user name nd email is lited there.

Edited by: YoloRepair ca ( )

0

Nick TechHero
1

I finally got it as well. The rectangle tape needs to cover most of that flex cable I literally had to work on it for 3-4 hours. Any questions email me

0

Alex Nguyen
79

Hi everyone. I've found what's going on!!

Turns out, there is a small strip of black tape in between the glass and frame that keep the digitizer from "touching" itself and activating home button + digitizer randomly.

The fix for this is simple. Just put a thin strip of tape in between the glass and it's flex cables. I suggest Kapton tape since it's adhesive is light and wont damage the flex, as well as being thin, or just carefully transfer the thin tape strip from the original digitizer to the replacement. Be sure not to cover the Digitizer Adhesive of course!

Here are some pictures for you guys!

http://imgur.com/a/mwTJa

asdflkajsd;fs

0

Alex Nguyen
79

Please refer to these following reference pictures I've created for you guys a while back:

Edited by: Alex Nguyen ( )

0

boomvalk
13

So to visually display GtechiRepair's comment which was very useful to me by the way:

These black tapes and the clear tape you peal off here are positioned on the red squares here:

0

gerry melder
1

can anybody tell me the purpose of the two small pieces of magnet stuck to the bottom of the digitizer?

0

Peter
25

Just read a blog http://www.ecever.com/blog/ipad-mini-hom...

I managed to fix iPad Mini Home button not work problem from it's instructions!Just as first answer said,you should transfer the tapes to the new digitizer.

0

gdm
1

Hi! someone knows if the replacement works just with the black tape of the old digitizer or can I put on some new one? because i don't have my old digitizer but maybe I can use a commercial black tape (i mean black electrical tape)?

use kapton tape (the orangey tape). regular black electrical tape is too tacky and (in my experience) end up causing more problems.

jessabethany,