0

ComputerReviver
1

MacBook Pro will only boot with top cover opened

I have a MacBook Pro 1.83GHz that will power on but the screen remains black. I repair computers so I disassemble it up to the point where I could remove the top cover. What I found is that if I ground the cover to the back of the body holding it almost verticle, and press the power button, it will boot fine. When I close the cover after booting it continues to work. If I try to boot with the cover down I only get the black screen. Im kind of stuck at this point, it seems as if there is a short somewhere but I will have to continue further. Anyone else having this issue? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , iRobot ( ) , ComputerReviver ( )

Do you get the starting chime when cover is close ? If so do you hear the hard drive booting or no activity at all ?

lemerise,

I have connected a external monitor to it, but I get the same thing. I can make it boot to the LCD when I have it open with no problem. I can now make it boot with it back togeather by removing the magsafe, pressing and holding pwr button and reconnecting magsafe, or sometimes by simply removing and reconnecting the magsafe after a failed boot. When it does not boot and goes tothe black screen i do not get a chime, I only get the DVD checking for a disc and I do get some HD movement, but not enough to boot. Currently it is leaning toward a power issue but could ultimately be the logic board. My next step is to reflow the board if there are no signs of circuit heat damage. I have had much sucess wit this method on the MacBook and have put a few back into service. Sorry for the late reply, I am also remodeling my kitchen.

ComputerReviver,

1

rj713

You might try opening the computer and disconnecting the lcd. Hook up an external monitor and see if it boots. What we are trying to do is find out if you have a bad cable. Ralph

MacBook Pro 15" Model A1150

Edited by: rj713 ( )

1

markus weiher
29k

i've had the same issue with a fsc notebook - i used paper to find the area where the short is - cover everything possible with paper (or a foil) and try to start, reduce the paper areas and look in what area the short comes back - then look at the parts in that area (nothing special, but worked for me)