0

Daniel Starnes
21

What tools needed to repair Mac

What tools would I need if I will be working on Macintosh laptops?

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , Daniel Starnes ( ) , David Hodson ( )

5

David Hodson

Well, Daniel, that's quite an open-ended question there. Our Pro Tech Toolkit should handle most, if not all of the repairs you need to do, but you may find some other tools to be extremely useful. The iOpener is invaluable for removing glass display panels, whether they're on smartphones, tablets, or MacBooks. You should also have an anti-static mat to put over your workplace. Finally, you'll find it extremely helpful to have a magnetic project mat on hand to keep track of screws and small parts.

Anti-Static Mat

Ground yourself and your work surface to prevent damage from electrostatic discharge (ESD). Various sizes to fit any work station: 12" x 20", 20" x 24", 24" x 48". Be ESD-safe! — 50+ available at 24.95 each.

Pro Tech Toolkit

The industry standard for electronics and computer repair technicians and businesses. All the tools needed to repair iPhones, iPads, smartphones, tablets, Mac laptops, PCs, and video game consoles. — 50+ available at 69.95 each.

Magnetic Project Mat

Magnetic organizer surface for small electronics repair. Organizes and magnetically secures all your parts while you work on a device. Dry erase surface lets you keep notes and reduce technician error. Reduces reassembly time by up to 40% while reducing e — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

iOpener

Tablet opening tool designed to apply heat directly to areas needing heat to enable tablet opening. Invented specifically for the iPad, but works with all tablets and smartphones. This opening tool applies heat directly to areas needing it, reducing accid — 50+ available at 12.95 each.

I am mainly looking at doing minor repairs and/or data recovery on Mac laptops. I already have standard screwdrivers, and anti-static gear. Would I really need everything in the Pro Tech Toolkit, or would the Home Tech Toolkit be sufficient?

Daniel Starnes,

The Pro Tech kit has a nicer (precision!) screwdriver with more bits, our full lineup of ESD-safe tweezers, and a whole set of metal spudgers. Add to all of that the neat tool roll that keeps everything organized, and it's pretty much the perfect on-the-go kit to fix almost anything.

David Hodson,

1

mayer
200k

This is a very broad question. Are you looking to be a professional or just working on one or two Macs. Any idea of what time frame Macs you are looking at? All Macs or just desktops or laptops? What kind of budget are you looking at?

I do tech support for students at a school. I am not supposed to repair laptops for students, but if I can do something quick (loose cable, for instance) to get the student back in business, I do it. Most often, if I need to take the cover off, it is to remove the hard drive, so that I can retrieve data for the student, before the student sends it in for repair. So I just need basic dis-assembly, and re-assembly. I won't be replacing any mainboards, or anything like that.

Daniel Starnes,

This plus a pocket knife should be all you really need to start, add other tools as needed: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/54-Bit-Drive...

mayer,

Thank you both very much for your suggestions.

Daniel Starnes,