0

Mark
1

SATA cable for SSD use in optical bay

So I bought a SATA bracket/mount for an SSD drive to replace my optical drive in my black 2006 MacBook. Once I removed the optical drive, I also removed the orange cable that attaches it to the motherboard. I figured it would attach to the SATA mount just like it did on the optical drive, but it has a different type of connection.

My question is, is there a different cable available that will allow me to connect my SATA drive in the optical bay (because the original orange one won't connect to a regular SATA connection)?

The part number of the problem cable is 821-0408-A

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( )

Please give us a link to the mount you bought.

mayer,

Thanks for the reply guys. I figured it out - I guess even though the primary HDD on the A1181 is SATA, the optical drive is a PATA connection - so basically I have the wrong enclosure type. So I did a little digging and found the proper enclosure that will work with the PATA style connection. True machead3, it was misleading from the description - I was lead to believe it would work with ALL MacBooks, but I think it's the proper one for unibody Macs and newer.

Mark,

1

machead3

I would talk with the kit vendor... if they knew you needed a different cable it should have been provided, or, made clear you need to purchase it.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Edited by: machead3 ( )