1

Scott Torino
25

Nexus 7 will not power on.

Nexus 7 will not power on. Held the power button. Tried pressing the power button in rapid succession. No luck. I think it is charged. Anyone Jedi who can save me?

1

Scott Torino
25

Ok. After much procrastination, I returned to get the Nexus 7 charger that came with the unit. My brother had told me he was using a phone charger. My initial assumption was that using the phone charger would not have been an issue. Micro USB is Micro USB to me. Anyway I charged the unit for 30 minutes with the unit's charger and held the button for 30 seconds. The Nexus booted up and I have since returned it to its home.

0

fryarludwig
579

Definitely try it with the cable as well, you can rarely assume the battery has a charge.

Found at "howtogeek.com"

"Tablet Won’t Power On or Charge

If your Nexus 7 appears completely frozen and won’t power on or even charge, the most obvious solution is to pull the battery and reinsert it. However, the Nexus 7 doesn’t have a user-serviceable battery.

Instead of pulling the battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds straight. You may have tried holding down the power button already – but you won’t see any results until you hold it down for the entire 30 seconds. This process fixed a Nexus 7 that refused to turn on or charge."

0

sybilsacco
1

I just wanted to say thank you to fryardludwig...it worked!

0

Moyer123
43

I had the same problem, I just added this video to youtube teaching you how to re-connect your battery

(this is a very common issue with the nexus 7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Hp3Gl-i...

0

jardineromi
1

My Nexus 7 wouldn't boot , no matter what combination buttons I pushed.. (it was fully charged when this happened.) After letting it set for 2 weeks out of frustration, I opened it with one of your handy dandy plastic spudges , unplugged the battery for about 2 minutes, reattached the battery and closed the device back up.

I then pushed the power button as normal, and it BOOTED UP... been using it since.

Opening the device up is very easy and this is definately worth a try...

My theory, is that the Nexus never would really turn off, so unplugging allowed the OS to reset.... maybe ? anyway, it worked...

0

James Price
1

None of these work for me at all. I have an Open RMA with Asus, and will have to try that it seems.

0

James
25

Try pressing the power button AND both the volume buttons at the same time. Normally when this combination is pressed, a bootrom menu should appear. If held long enough, it should reset the tablet and eventually it should boot, just keep holding the buttons.

0

Hayley
1

Thank you a million times over Scott Torino!! You are indeed a life saver.

0

carley
1

My Nexus 7 isn't turning , the google image and the Multi Coloured

'X' appeared but that's it, the screen keeps showing me the 'X' and I've tried EVERYTHING to try and getting it to turn on. I've charged it, turned it on and off again, but nothing is working ! What shall I do ? I'm freaking out !!

Sounds like your battery might have died!

James,

0

Brenda
1

Sorry, I'm not adding an answer, I just wanted to get in touch with jardineromi and ask how I can get at the battery and what is a 'handy dandy plastic spudge'?

My Nexus 7 won't power up and it's one month out of warranty....

Help is needed - thanks

Thanks everyone for your help - turns out it just needed soldering in a few places - all fixed now

Edited by: Brenda ( )

0

James
25

@Brenda

Follow this guide to remove your battery from your Nexus 7. As for the 'handy dandy plastic spudge', I think jardineromi is referring to a plastic opening tool. They can be found here.

I would recommend what I have suggested before on this thread before taking the back off your device. Try holding the all the power and volume buttons at th same time, for up to 30 seconds, this can sometimes work, and always has done for me, every time my Nexus 7 does not power on. Make sure it is connected to a power source when you do it though! Hope this helps!

0

jardineromi
1

@Brenda

James has down exactly what I did..

The 'spudge' is the plastic opening tool they sell here on the website

Plastic Opening Tools

The opening tool enables you to open the nexus without causing damage...

0

Derek Merleaux
1

Having the same problem w/ my nexus 7 I purchased exactly a year and a week ago - in great shape - never dropped etc... one morning just wouldn't power on and won't charge or respond to any combination or length of button pushing - using the stock cable and charger (which I tested on another device) and using another cable and charger. I did pop the back off and disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect - still not a flicker of life. I didn't see anything else obviously disconnected or messed up looking on the inside. Doesn't sound like Asus is likely to help me much given that it's one week out of warranty... any ideas would be much appreciated.

You could try replacing the battery as it might be faulty and not holding charge. If the battery is depleted and it is not charging it would not turn on. Hope this helps.

James,

0

Paul0451
1

After shutting down my N7 it didn't power up again. The battery was at 30% when I shut it down. I tried pushing the buttons, all combinations for up to 3 minutes. No joy. The battery was not loose but I bought a new one, not a 3rd party but an Asus battery ($50) and installed it. I plugged it in for 8 hours. Still nothing.

I've had my N7 for 14 months. I'm wondering if it's still under warranty. I'm also looking for some place to sent it in order to get it back up and running again. Any ideas?

Paul

Edited by: Paul0451 ( )

0

Nexus Kevin
1

Just thought I would thank you all as I managed to get my Nexus 7 to but up again by finding the original charger and then holding the power button down for 30 seconds.

0

Jack
1

I have an original model nexus 7 tablet. Worked fine for the first few years then started not coming up after either sleeping it or just leaving it alone. Tried all the button tricks to no avail. Read about the slap the back trick and that worked until it bothered my hand slapping this thing. I finally took the back cover off and noticed there are several tiny connectors that touch the back cover when closed. I used the wife's nail file to clean the connections put it back together and it has worked for the last couple of weeks as new. Not sure if that did it but thought I would throw it out there in case it fixes yours.

Stone

This Month: 4,172