1

Jonathan Gabriel
59

Replacing the screen of the Surface Pro

I, and others I know of, bought the 64GB Pro with the intention of upgrading it (in my case, I had no choice. I needed a new laptop/device immideately, and the 128GB won't be available in my area until at least next month).

So we now have a wonderful teardown guide of the Surface Pro that proves it's storage option is a standard mSATA drive. We know how to get the screen off and replace the SSD, but can anyone provide some advice (or a guide would be awesome) on replacing the screen afterwards? Does the adhesive lose some of it's stickiness in the process? Can it just be heated lightly and stuck back on? What are the chances of getting those "soft spots" under the edges of the glass that never fully adhere again, and stick momentarily when pushed on?

tl;dr Can the screen be stuck back on without it being obvious you ever pulled it off?

Edited by: Jonathan Gabriel ( )

On a side note, I wonder if the teardown unit was ever reassembled. I'd be curious to see if everything still functions properly afterwards. Anyone know what kind of adhesive holds the screen onto the Surface? iPads and the like seem to all use thin, commercial-grade 3M double sided adhesive tape. Is that the case here, or is it something else? I'm definitely going to replace the mSATA drive in mine (just ordered an mSATA > SATA adapter for cloning the drive and the tools/iOpener from iFixIt) Before I attempt this I want to make sure I can buy an adhesive that will do the job correctly.

Jonathan Gabriel,

3

Miroslav Djuric

We did the hard work and found out that yes, the screen is openable, and the SSD is replaceable, but opening the Surface Pro is a terrible endeavor. You have to use a heat gun and pry the glue "just right," otherwise you'll either not separate all the glue, or you'll come too close to the display cables and risk shearing them.

Since we were operating blindly — nobody has opened one prior to us — we ended up shearing one of the display cables, so our Surface Pro is now a very solid looking coaster. But we sacrifice ourselves for the science, and that's how things go sometimes. (Don't worry, we'll find other good ways of using the device — our devices are never "gone for good.")

This is glue. Strong stuff.

You may be able to get away with reusing the existing glue, if you work in a relatively clean environment and don't get a bunch of dust/debris on it. There's gobs of it on the top, but not so much near the bottom, so the bottom area may have "re-sticking" issues. Alternatively, we recommend getting your hands on the strongest 3M double-sided adhesive strips you can find, and then remove the old glue from both sides of the Surface Pro in order to get a good bond.

Also, there are roughly 70ish screws standing between you and the SSD. Not nearly as much of a hassle as the glue, but get ready to exercise your twirly fingers.

Now on to the good news. Here is a shot of the actual SSD found in the Surface Pro:

From the teardown: "The Micron RealSSD C400 packs 64 GB of storage capacity. It can read 500MB/s and write 95 MB/s — all in a tiny 1.8" form factor."

So as long as you are able to suffer through the opening procedure, you should be able to replace the SSD with a larger unit.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. I think I can be careful and patient enough to get the screen off without damaging the cables, especially now that I've seen what they look like and where they are. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get this apart with the iOpener on this site, as I'm not a fan of heat guns for this type of work. I also think that I'd like to try reusing the glue. In your opinion, did it (or at least the top where there was more of it) remain sticky enough to reattach the screen without any danger of it separating again over time? I plan to have some 3M tape on standby regardless, just in case it doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'm worried that whatever I find will be too thick and cause the screen to stick out farther than original. (I wish I could see your teardown in person, rather than just pictures. Maybe then I'd have a good "feel" for what this entails and not have to ask so many stupid questions.)

Jonathan Gabriel,

1

vladsg
13

You should remove all rest glue both from plastic bezel and glass and use double-sided tape.

I think it will be very nice if you will use it in some points around the screen that it will be much easier to open it next time - for changing the battery for example.

0

Jesse
13

Guys where can I find an LCD replacement for Surface Pro? I found some on ebay but I think they're for the older model I'm assuming.

0

Alex
1

Yes, has anyone successfully replaced the Surface Pro screen? I just cracked mine and I'd like to try my hand at doing my own repair, but I don't know where to get a replacement screen.

0

emma
1

Has anyone replaced a surface 2 screen???? Uk based

0

Jeremy
1

I just used a heating gun to remove the screen, it would have been easier if I wanted to replace the lcd and digitizer, but the lcd was fine on mine. with the heating gun and plenty of credit card to shove in between, it came off fairly easily, just take your time, dont force anything. NOTE: be careful at the bottom, that is where all the ribbons are, if your digitizer is going to get replaced anyway, it wont matter if you cut some of them, just dont apply too much heat, or it will melt the important ones underneath. Now, I need to figure out what type of method I have to use to reapply all the glue.