1

Adam
23

MacBook with a dead backlight, small buzzing sound.

Hello there.

I have a MacBook A1181 Penryn, with a dead backlight. I tried an SMC reset in case it was that easy, but sadly not. The backlight does not come on at any angle, and does not flicker at any point either. If I shine a torch on the screen it is all there, and the computer works fine other than the backlight. One thing I have noticed is that if I turn brightness all the way down, then on the first click there is a tiny, short buzz sound, from the right hinge area. Would this point to any part in particular before I open it up?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Last 3 characters of serial are 0P1.

Edited by: Adam ( )

Any chance you could post the last three of your serial number? This would help to identify your computer as well as your motherboard.

Thanks, I have added the last 3 to the question. I will go ahead and order a new inverter and cable, and I'll come back with what happens with that, Thanks again.

Adam,

Adam, does this look like your specs :" Intro Date: February 26, 2008 Disc Date: October 14, 2008 Order No: MB403LL/A Model No: A1181 (EMC 2242) Subfamily: Early 2008 Model ID: MacBook4,1 Std RAM: 2 GB Std VRAM: 144 MB Std Storage: 160 GB (5400 RPM) Std Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive"

Yep, that's the one.

Adam,

Just got time to have a look into this to double check before I order the part. The inverter I have taken out is part number 607-1859. Is this the same part as 922-8280? Also, the buzzing is definitely coming from the lower right hand corner of the panel itself, rather than the inverter.

Adam,

1

Adam, sounds to me like a bad inverter. The buzzing sound is most likely the transformer on the inverter. Part number for the inverter board is 922-8280 and for the inverter cable 922-8281. I am not a Mac person, just a person who enjoys this kind of hardware, so we'll have to see what the Mac experts come up with. Hope this helps, good luck.

Update: It's fixed! Cleaned up all the melted bits, replaced the wires at either end of the bulb, cleaned all the dust out I'd managed to get inside the panel and it's back in business. Thanks very much for the pointers. Accepted the answer to keep things tidy.

Adam,