0

suewclark
1

LCD screws are stuck on my iMac

I am trying to replace my hard drive. When I reached Step 10 of your instructions I have only managed to remove one of the 7 screws securing the LCD to the rear case. I have bought all the tools from you so have the correct kit. Please can you advise me what to do as I'm worried I'll chew the heads if I go on. All 7 appear to be completely stuck and the Torx 8 screw driver just turns within the head.

Any solutions would be welcome, other than spraying WD40 on them which I know would damage the plastic in which they sit. I also tried elastic bands but to no avail.

Many thanks

Sue Clark

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I live in the UK and have found a local store that does this kind of set so I can get there today. Thanks again for all your help.

suewclark,

0

mayer

Check to see that your T8 driver is really a T8. If the screws are to tight for you try a driver with a larger diameter handle to give you more torque. When I find screws to tight for mr I use the driver out of this kit: Essential Electronics Toolkit

Edited by: mayer ( )

Essential Electronics Toolkit

DIY toolkit for repairing electronics, smartphones, tablets, computers, and game consoles. Includes plastic opening tools, small suction cup, plastic spudger, metal machinist ruler, anti-static wrist strap, opening picks, iFixit tool pouch and a 26-Bit Dr — 50+ available at 24.95 each.

Eureka! Got a ratchet torn set and the extra leverage plus the fatter handle worked. Many thanks to you for your help and steering me in the right direction.

suewclark,